FootballLa Jolla High School secured a 17-7 Western League victory over Hoover on Oct. 17, coming from behind in the second half.
Senior running back Victor Rangel led the offense with nine carries for 93 yards, and Robbie Beathard rushed 15 times for 71 yards and a touchdown. Matt Petch scored the Vikings’ other touchdown, and Lee Abelkop connected on a 33-yard field goal.
Henry Nawahine sparked the defense with eight tackles, while Beathard and Jonathan Flores each totaled seven.
La Jolla Country Day, despite missing a core group of starters to injury, rolled over Sage Hill of Newport Beach, 55-0, on Oct. 17.
Third-string quarterback Grayson Tucker led the offense, completing nine of his 18 passes for 127 yards with two interceptions. Montell Allen rushed 18 times for 136 yards and two touchdowns. Connor Gerhart, Kees Thompson and Mike Salas each scored a rushing touchdown, and Thompson returned a punt 60 yards for a touchdown. Eastin Reaume caught five passes for 52 yards.
Doug Rogers made six tackles and had a sack, while Allen totaled five tackles and added an interception.
The Bishop’s School suffered a 31-23 loss to Francis Parker on Oct. 17.
Jacob Kelly led the offense with 103 yards and two touchdowns rushing. Mike Jensen carried 14 times for 88 yards and a score, and Joey Moreno completed six of 10 passes for 101 yards.
Jensen also had 13 tackles and a sack, while Alex Carrillo and Alec Fisher added nine tackles.
Girls’ volleyballThe Bishop’s School toppled Canyon Crest Academy, 27-25, 25-18, 25-15 on Oct. 15. Carly Bollert led the Knights with 15 kills. Hannah Saber contributed five aces, and Carly Guiducci had two.
The Knights kept rolling with a 25-21, 28-26, 25-21 victory over Francis Parker on Oct. 17. Kristin Casey had 15 kills and 14 digs, and Thea Derrough added 12 kills and two blocks. Julie Gantz totaled three aces and 17 digs, and Ina Kamenova had 41 assists.
Bishop’s improved to 16-7 and 2-1 in the Coastal League South.
Cross countryLa Jolla High School’s boys’ team split in a three-team meet at Balboa Park’s Morley Field on Oct. 17, beating Cathedral Catholic, 24-33, but losing to University City, 22-34.
The Vikings’ top five runners each shaved at least 30 seconds off their best times for the season. Michael Conroy led the way, covering a 3.1-mile course in 16 minutes, 10 seconds. Bryant Hammershaimb was next in 16:20, followed by Andrew Farkas in 16:38, Alex Eve in 16:43 and Greg Hovarth in 18:22.
La Jolla’s girls secured narrow wins of 28-29 over Cathedral Catholic and 28-30 over University City in the same meet. The Vikings improved to 4-0 this season. Juniors Tatevick Simavorvan and Jeanine Mejares were key to the wins, beating both teams’ fifth runners.
La Jolla Country Day’s boys’ team raced to victory Oct. 17 at the first Coastal League cluster meet of the season, easily bettering second-place Bishop’s, 30-56, at UCSD’s Par Course. Alex Poyhonen led the pack for the Torreys, covering 3.0 miles in 16:59.
The Bishop’s School won the girls’ Coastal League cluster meet on the same day, scoring 27 points to Canyon Crest Academy’s 31. Country Day was third, with 82. Elizabeth Schulze of Bishop’s was the first-place individual in 20:16.
Girls’ golfThe Bishop’s School secured a 215-320 victory over Canyon Crest Academy at Encinitas Ranch Golf Course on Oct. 15. Freshman Spencer Krut earned medalist honors with a 1-over-par 37. Libby Hooton and Dennell Falk each shot 42.The Knights improved to 8-1.
Field hockeyLa Jolla High School rolled to a 6-0 win over Point Loma on Oct. 17.
THE WEEK AHEAD IN HIGH SCHOOL SPORTS
Girls’ tennisTuesday, Oct. 28 – 3:15 p.m.
La Jolla Country Day at The Bishop’s School
City rivals meet in a late-season matchup of two traditionally strong teams. The Torreys and Knights could use this meeting as a warm up for the upcoming postseason.
THURSDAY, OCT. 23
- La Jolla High School vs. Coronado, TBA
- The Bishop’s School vs. Canyon Crest Academy, 3:15 p.m.
- The Bishop’s School vs. Francis Parker (at La Jolla CC), 3:30 p.m.
FRIDAY, OCT. 24
- La Jolla High School at Serra, 6:30 p.m.
- La Jolla Country Day vs. Calipatria, 7 p.m.
- La Jolla High School vs. Point Loma, 3:15 p.m.
- The Bishop’s School at Horizon Christian, 4:45 p.m.
Boys’ water polo
- La Jolla High School at Coronado, 3 p.m.
- La Jolla Country Day vs. Hoover (at City Heights), 3 p.m.
- The Bishop’s School vs. Point Loma, 3:15 p.m
- La Jolla Country Day at Mt. SAC Invitational, TBA
- The Bishop’s School at Jaguar Invitational (at Kit Carson Park), 2:30 p.m.
SATURDAY, OCT. 25
Boys’ water polo
- The Bishop’s School at Nor Cal/So Cal Classic, TBA
- The Bishop’s School at Harvard Westlake, 3:15 p.m.
SUNDAY, OCT. 26
- No events scheduled
MONDAY, OCT. 27
Boys’ water polo
- The Bishop’s School at Cathedral Catholic, 3 p.m.
TUESDAY, OCT. 28
- La Jolla Country Day at The Bishop’s School, 3:15 p.m.
- The Bishop’s School vs. Our Lady of Peace (at La Jolla CC), 3:30 p.m.
- La Jolla High School at Scripps Ranch, 3:15 p.m.
- La Jolla Country Day at The Bishop’s School, 4:45 p.m.
Boys’ water polo
- La Jolla High School at The Bishop’s School, 3 p.m.
- La Jolla Country Day vs. Morse (at Jewish Community Center), 3 p.m.
- La Jolla Country Day, The Bishop’s School at Coastal Conference tournament (at Encinitas Ranch GC), 12:30 p.m.
- La Jolla High School vs. Cathedral Catholic, 6 p.m.
- The Bishop’s School at Scripps Ranch, 3:15 p.m.
All schedules are provided by the individual schools’ athletic departments. Please check with the schools for changes or cancellations.