Veladora’s Toasted Quinoa and Seasonal Vegetables
• 1 part quinoa
• 2 parts water
• Salt to taste
• 1 bouquet garni (1 ounce fresh thyme, 6 bay leaves and 1 Tablespoon black peppercorn tied in a cheesecloth)
- In a sauce pot, combine quinoa, water, salt and bouquet garni. Bring to a boil and simmer until quinoa is tender, about 18 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let stand for 5 minutes.
- Strain excess liquid and set aside in a container to cool.
Roasted Tomato Sherry Dressing
• 10 Roma tomatoes
• 3/4 cup balsamic vinegar
• 1/2 cup sherry vinegar
• 3 ounces Dijon mustard
• 2 ounces shallot, minced
• 1 ounce thyme, minced
• 1 1/2 Tablespoons kosher salt
• 1 teaspoon black pepper
• 1 quart olive oil
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Wash tomatoes, remove core, slice in half.
- Place halved tomatoes, skin side up, on sheet tray and place in oven for 20-25 minutes until outer skin of tomato is deeply browned.
- Let tomatoes cool completely. Combine all ingredients, except oil, and blend until smooth, about 2 minutes.
- Continue to blend, incorporating oil in a steady stream until dressing is fully emulsified. Set aside.
Putting it all together
• 3 ounces butter lettuce
• 2 ounces cherry tomatoes, sliced
• 2 1/2 ounces Roasted Tomato Sherry Dressing (see above)
• 3 ounces toasted quinoa (see above)
• 1 Tablespoon cranberry
• 1 ounce asparagus, blanched
• 1 ounce zucchini, sautéed
• 1 ounce roasted peppers
• Salt and black pepper to taste
• 7 Harissa marinated shrimp
- In a mixing bowl, combine butter lettuce, cherry tomatoes and 1 ounce of tomato sherry dressing. Toss together well, thoroughly coating the greens.
- In another mixing bowl, combine 1 1/2 ounces of tomato sherry dressing, toasted quinoa, cranberry, asparagus, zucchini, roasted peppers, salt and pepper. Toss together.
- Present butter lettuce and cherry tomatoes in a large bowl, stacking lettuce leaves to create height in the center. Place quinoa and vegetable mix over butter lettuce and arrange some of the colorful ingredients on top.
- Grill harissa marinated shrimp until just cooked through and place on top of salad.