Torrey girls hoops head into playoffs ranked first
- La Jolla Country Day’s girls basketball team won its final two games, finishing with a 22-3 record and the first seed in the CIF San Diego Section Division IV playoffs.
The Torreys topped Francis Parker, 78-24, on Feb. 17. Briteesha Solomon scored 25 points.
Country Day beat Horizon Christian, 70-29, on Feb. 19. Kelsey Plum scored 23 points.
Country Day is scheduled to open the playoffs on Feb. 27.
- The Bishop’s School topped Francis Parker, 94-56, on Feb. 19.
Bishop’s was seeded second in D-IV and is scheduled for its first playoff game Feb. 27.
- La Jolla High School upended University City, 58-55, on Feb. 16. Onezia Burotte scored 13 points.
The Vikings fell to Our Lady of Peace, 51-23. Mitchell scored 10 points.
La Jolla was scheduled to open the D-III playoffs at Montgomery on Feb. 24.
- La Jolla beat University City, 58-55, on Feb. 16. Taylor Davis scored 16 points.
The Vikings then topped St. Augustine, 56-54, on Feb. 19. John Walsh led the team with 18 points.
La Jolla was scheduled to host Montgomery in the first round of the D-III playoffs on Feb. 23.
- Bishop’s edged Francis Parker, 66-49, on Feb. 19. Maliik Love scored 32 points.
The Knights, seeded first in D-IV, are scheduled to play in the quarterfinals Feb. 26.
- Country Day fell to Francis Parker, 56-50, on Feb. 17. Frankie Bamford tallied 15 points.
The Torreys dropped a 66-57 decision to Horizon Christian on Feb. 19. Sage Burmeister had 15 points.
Country Day, seeded fourth in D-IV, is scheduled to open the playoffs Feb. 26.
- Bishop’s played to a 1-1 tie with Canyon Crest Academy on Feb. 16. Adam Malcieweitz scored.
The Knights topped Francis Parker, 1-0, on Feb. 18. Nick Magnuson had the lone goal.
Bishop’s was the third seed in D-IV and was to host Maranatha Christian in the first round on Feb. 24.
- Country Day played to a scoreless tie with Francis Parker on Feb. 15. Michael Bailey earned the shutout for the Torreys.
Country Day beat Mountain Empire, 5-0, on Feb. 16, behind two goals and an assist from Alex Fleischhacker.
On Feb. 18, the Torreys took down Horizon Christian, 5-0. Fleischhacker and Dennis Roth each scored twice.
Country Day was seeded fourth in D-IV and was set to host Horizon Christian in a first-round match Feb. 24.
- La Jolla fell to Cathedral Catholic, 2-1, on Feb. 16 and then dropped a 1-0 game to St. Augustine on Feb. 19.
- La Jolla beat Our Lady of Peace, 6-2, on Feb. 16. Karly Zlatic scored twice.
The Vikings tied University City, 1-1, on Feb. 18, when Zlatic scored the lone goal.
La Jolla rebounded with a 4-0 win over Christian on Feb. 19. Itzel Caro scored two goals.
The Vikings, seeded third in D-III, are scheduled to open the playoffs on Feb. 26.
- Bishop’s beat Canyon Crest Academy, 4-0, on Feb. 16. Morgan Hicks and Francis Harvey each had a goal and an assist.
The Knights edged Francis Parker, 3-2, on Feb. 18. Hicks, Harvey and Laura Aguilar scored.
Bishop’s earned the top seed in D-IV and was scheduled to host Holtville in the first round on Feb. 23.
- Country Day eased past Mountain Empire, 9-0, on Feb. 16. Miquela Fiori scored three goals.
The Torreys topped Horizon Christian, 2-0, on Feb. 18.
Country Day was the third seed in D-IV and was to host Guajome Park Academy in the first round on Feb. 23.
Girls water polo
- Bishop’s, seeded second in D-II, beat Canyon Crest, 22-2, in the first-round on Feb. 18.
The Knights beat Point Loma, 16-2, in a Feb. 20 quarterfinal.
- La Jolla, seeded third in D-II, rolled past Valley Center, 15-4, in a Feb. 18 first-round game.
The Vikings toppled Valhalla, 17-7, in their Feb. 20 quarterfinal.
La Jolla and Bishop’s were scheduled to meet in the semifinals on Feb. 24.
- Country Day beat Sweetwater, 23-0, on Feb. 16.
The Torreys skated past Mar Vista, 20-1, on Feb. 17. On Feb. 18, Country Day topped Castle Park, 21-2.
Seeded seventh in the playoffs, Country Day was scheduled to face St. Augustine in the first round on Feb. 22.
- La Jolla had five place winners at the CIF San Diego Section D-IV Championships on Feb 20. David Blasquez won the heavyweight division, and Matt Vasquez was second at 154 pounds. Quinn Staruser was third at 142, Eric Gomez was fourth at 191, and Jose Dorantez was fifth at 132.
Gregory Ball covers sports for La Jolla Light. He can be reached at email@example.com.