Then & Now: Warwick’s stands strong
In 1959, the west side of Girard took on a somewhat surrealistic aura photographed without any traffic. Warwick’s and Burns Drugs remain prominent storefronts today, but other businesses such as Frazee’s, Jurgensons, La Jolla Hardware and Quon Mane’s have long ago disappeared.
TRIVIA: What is the full name of Warwick’s founder?
Find the answer below. SCROLL DOWN
W.T. Warwick: When W.T. Warwick founded his paper goods shop in Minnesota in 1896, he sold books, writing paper, and writing instruments. Upon relocating to California in the mid-1930s, Warwick re-established his store in downtown La Jolla. The next generation, Wynn and Louise Warwick took over in 1950, expanding and modernizing the shop. In 1964, the third generation of Warwicks took on the mantle of ownership. Under the management of Bob and Marian Warwick the store grew in both size and prominence, undergoing two expansions and establishing loyal customers all over San Diego County. In 2001, the fourth generation stepped up to the plate. W.T. Warwick’s great granddaughters, Nancy and Cathy Warwick, have continued to emphasize the savvy buying of diverse products - from books to international artisan jewelry - and have undertaken the store’s third renovation. After 108 years in business, the family tradition of classic customer service and modern merchandising continue to make Warwick’s an integral and historic part of the community.