Then & Now: General store is no more
In 1899, the corner of Girard Avenue looking down Prospect Street showed a dirt path with a few cottages and a general store operated by William Frank Ludington and G. W. Chase.
Trivia: What La Jolla Association was formed in 1899?
For the answer SCROLL DOWN.
In 1899, a group was incorporated as the Library Association of La Jolla…
Athenaeum Music & Arts Library history began in 1894, when a small group of pioneer La Jollans formed the La Jolla Reading Club. In 1898, a Reading Room was constructed at the corner of Girard Avenue and Wall Street, thanks to a generous donation from Florence Sawyer. In 1899, the group was incorporated as the Library Association of La Jolla, fulfilling the function of a membership library, and Ellen Browning Scripps was elected as the first president of its Board of Trustees.