Advertisement

Stove-top fire prompts evacuation at Casa de Manana, none hurt

A fire on a stove prompted an evacuation of several floors a Casa de Manana, in a senior high-rise housing complex Sunday, but no one was hurt, a dispatcher with the San Diego Fire-Rescue Department said.

The blaze was reported around 2:40 p.m. at 849 Coast Blvd., the

dispatcher said.

She said food being cooked in a sixth-floor unit caught fire, but flames

were contained to a stove.

The fire generated a large amount of smoke visible in the area around

the Children’s Pool at La Jolla Cove.

Police officers working at the scene of a nearby traffic accident rushed

to the building and helped evacuate the residents.