State to adopt Sex Offender Management board’s recommendations
Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger on Friday directed his administration to take action on recommendations made by the Sex Offender Management Board after a review of the John Albert Gardner case.
Schwarzenegger earlier this year directed the board to review the Gardner case to determine where systematic changes or improvements can be made to better protect the public.
Schwarzenegger immediately directed the California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation to retain all files on sex offender parolees and make as much information as possible available to the public.
The department is in the process of awarding contracts for a pilot program to treat designated sex offenders on parole as part of a containment model strategy, Schwarzenegger said.
Schwarzenegger said the department’s Division of Adult Parole Operations is conducting a thorough review of all violations of parole conditions for possible referral to the Board of Parole Hearings, in conjunction with the Parole Violation Decision Making Instrument, which determines any sanctions for misconduct while on parole.
Gardner pleaded guilty in 2000 to sexually assaulting a 13-year-old neighbor girl and sentenced to six years in prison.
Gardner served five years in custody and was on parole from 2005 to 2008, but was never sent back to prison for repeated parole violations.
Gardner, now 31, is scheduled to be sentenced Friday to life in prison without parole for the rapes and murders of Chelsea King and Amber Dubois.