Small fire at Hyatt Regency-La Jolla prompts evacuation
Guests at the Hyatt Regency-La Jolla were evacuated this morning when burning or smoldering towels on a linen cart sent smoke through part of the hotel.
One person was suffering from respiratory problems was taken to UCSD Medical Center, a fire dispatcher said.
Fire officials said automatic sprinklers doused the fire before it could spread, causing “considerable” damage inside the hotel.
The incident reportedly occurred on the fourth floor.
As fire crews worked the scene, guests were milling around outside the complex in the late morning, wondering what had happened at the luxury hotel at the Aventine complex on La Jolla Village Drive next to Interstate 5.
They were allowed to return to the hotel just before noon.
In 2007, a fire that started in a laundry chute caused an estimated $3.5 million in damage. No one was injured in that incident.