San Diego Opera celebrates its 50th Anniversary with two performances of opera’s greatest hits featuring arias, duets, ensembles and choruses performed by the San Diego Opera Chorus, the San Diego Symphony and a roster of internationally renowned artists including sopranos Lise Lindstrom and Emily Magee, mezzo soprano Marianne Cornetti, tenor René Barbera, baritones Stephen Powell and Scott Sikon and bass Reinhard Hagen.
Maestro Karen Kamensek will conduct the performances 7 p.m. Saturday, April 18 and 2 p.m. Sunday, April 19 at Symphony Hall, 750 B St., downtown, San Diego. Tickets from $45 at (619) 533-7000 or sdopera.com
The company is also offering a pre-performance dinner and a post-performance reception April 18 in lieu of its traditional gala, which is usually held in January. Tickets for these events are $250-$1,000. On April 19, 2015 the company will host a pre-performance brunch at The University Club atop Symphony Towers. Tickets are $150. (Performance tickets not included.)
San Diego Opera’s 51st Season:
• Soprano Patricia Racette performs her “Diva on Detour” recital Saturday, Nov. 14 at Balboa Theatre, San Diego;
• Puccini’s “Tosca,” starring Greer Grimsley as Scarpia, Alexia Voulgaridou as Tosca and Gwyn Hughes Jones as Cavaradossi, Feb. 13, 16, 19 and 21 at San Diego Civic Theatre;
• Bass Ferruccio Furlanetto in concert with the San Diego Symphony, Saturday, March 5, 2016 at Copley Symphony Hall;
• Puccini’s “Madama Butterfly,” starring Latonia Moore as Cio-Cio San, J’nai Bridgesas Suzuki, and Teodor Ilincai as Pinkerton, April 16, 19, 22 and 24 at San Diego Civic Theatre;
• West Coast premiere of Jake Heggie’s comic opera “Great Scott,” starring Isabel Leonard as Arden Scott, Nathan Gunn as Sid Taylor, and Frederica von Stade as Mrs. Winnie Flato, May 7, 10, 13 and 15 at San Diego Civic Theatre.
— TICKETS are priced from $35 with a three-opera season subscription starting at $105.
— SAN DIEGO OPERA —
• Box Office/Patron Services: 237 A St., Street level of Centre City Building, San Diego, CA 92101
• Hours: Mon-Fri, 8:30am to 4:30pm
• Phone: (619) 533-7000
• E-mail: email@example.com
• Website: sdopera.com