Post Office to hear public at April 26 meeting
By Dave Schwab
Thursday, April 26 will be the only opportunity for La Jollans to meet face-to-face with the U.S. Postal Service to express their disapproval of the federal institution’s proposal to relocate the postal service at 1140 Wall St. and sell the “historic” building.
That’s the message the Save La Jolla Task Force wants to get out to the community about the event that starts at 6 p.m. at the Cuvier Club, 7776 Eads Ave.
“This is the meeting,” said interim Save the La Jolla Post Office Task Force chair Leslie Davis, noting the Cuvier Club seats about 400.
Besides imploring La Jollans to turn out at the special meeting, the task force released answers from the U.S. Postal Service to questions put to it by the task force via Congresswoman Susan Davis’s office.
Among its answers, the postal service said it “has not reached a final determination” to sell the (Wall Street) facility, but it is “under serious consideration” because the facility’s size “far exceeds our space needs.”
The Postal Service declined releasing figures on revenues and expenses for its La Jolla facility, describing that information as “proprietary.”
When asked if existing retail postal operations could remain at 1140 Wall if a favorable lease-back arrangement could be reached with a new building owner, the reply was, “The Postal Service will evaluate all offers and, potentially, could remain in the current building.”
Save La Jolla Post Office Timeline
• Jan. 10, 2012: Preliminary decision announced
• January-March 2012: Save La Jolla Post Office Task Force meetings
• April 26, 2012: USPS hosts 6 p.m. community meeting at Cuvier Club
• April 26-May 26: 30 days for written comments by public to Diana K. Alvarado, vice president facilities, Pacific Facilities Service Office, 395 Oyster Point Blvd., Ste. 225, San Francisco, Ca., 94080-0300
• May 26, 2012: USPS makes final decision
• May 26-June 11: 15-day appeal period
• June 15, 2012: USPS responds to appeal
• June 15, 2012: “For Sale” sign could appear at the Wall Street facility