The San Diego Police Department (SDPD) announced it will will ramp up enforcement at various malls and shopping centers throughout the city in anticipation of the holiday shopping season.
In addition to uniformed officers, undercover officers will also be out looking for criminal activity at local malls during the day and evening hours beginning Nov. 28.
SDPD recommends the following tips:
- Park in well-lighted areas
- Shop in pairs or with a group and do not walk to and/or from your car alone
- Do not hesitate to ask mall or store security to escort you to your car
- Pay close attention to your surroundings
- Keep your cell phone with you but don’t talk on your phone while walking to and from your car; have it available in case you need to call for assistance
- Do not leave valuables in your car as this is an enticement for thieves who may see the items or may see you store the items in your trunk
- Report people you believe to be casing the parking lots or stores
- Make a police report if you have been a victim of a crime
- Be a good witness; collect information on suspect and vehicle descriptions to aid police and security in capturing criminals