LEAD to recognize three La Jolla-area residents
Three La Jolla-area residents are among those being honored by LEAD San Diego, an organization dedicated to developing engaged civic and community leaders. They will be saluted at the eighth annual Visionary Awards on May 27.
Those being honored are:
- Jim Mulvaney, a senior partner with Mulvaney, Kahan & Barry, who will receive the Morgan Award for Lifetime Achievement. A resident of the Mount Soledad area, he has served on more than 40 committees, projects and boards for various organizations, the majority of which have been located in San Diego.
- La Jollan Duane J. Roth, chief executive officer and board member of CONNECT, who will receive the Economic Opportunity Award for his work with the organization that fosters entrepreneurship and assists new business formation in technology and life sciences. He also serves on the Governor’s Commission for Jobs and Economic Growth.
- Gastón Luken, another La Jollan, who is the recipient of the Charles Nathanson Memorial Award for Cross-Border Region Building. Active in the financial, business and civic sectors, he has served as a board member with numerous corporations and organizations, including Mexico’s largest conservation organization, Pronatura, A.C., and as chairman for the Institute for the Americas. He was instrumental in helping establish cross-border power and gas opportunities for the San Diego region.
Others winners are:
- Louarn Sorkin, a Carmel Valley resident, is receiving the LEAD Community Spotlight Award, a new award this year. In 2002, she co-founded Just In Time, a nonprofit organization that furnishes the first apartments and dorm rooms for transitioning foster youths as they turn 18 and “age out” of foster care, and helps with their special needs as they work toward becoming independent young adults.
- Maureen Stapleton is the winner of the Ronald Kendrick Memorial Award for Regional Collaboration.
- Nikki Clay is LEAD Graduate of the Year.
The winner of the Herbert G. Klein Visionary Award will be announced at the event, which will take place from 5:30 to 8:45 p.m. May 27 at the Marriott Hotel and Marina.
Sponsorships are available. Tickets are $150 per person. Contact the LEAD office at (619) 280-5323, or register at