By Axelan Ziba
My wife and I came to La Jolla (from Toronto) and absolutely fell in love with it for its peace-offering ocean view. We did not purchase a car so we could walk around and enjoy every step of our moments around La Jolla.
We chose to get a place on La Jolla Boulevard where we can be in the middle, with a mountain behind us, a very short walk to Windandsea and a perfect walk to Bird Rock and the Village.
Here are some ideas to make it even better:
- Promote friendly, though up-scale, restaurants with patios of about 20 feet on both sides of the street with heated lights year around to improve foot traffic.
- High-end hotels like La Valencia should offer horse-and-carriage service from the Village to Bird Rock to introduce the different parts to tourists. They could also go around the Village (on streets other than Girard and Prospect) to introduce the many businesses.
- Patios around the Village and Bird Rock should put in attractive music, even a live band, to attract foot traffic. We find many patios are lacking ambiance.
- Offering professional bike rental and scooter is a must. (There are small businesses that offer bicycle rental, but they are not in that business - no map is offered and prices are not matching for the bike quality.
- Newspaper stands around the Village and the bus stops around the city really need a face lift.
- The garbage cans: There are not many on the road if you walk from the Village to Windnsea. If there are, they are old and dirty. Update the cans and make them to La Jolla standards and add ashtrays to prevent fire and dirt around them.
- Promote building a good hotel and a large grocery store in Bird Rock.
Axelan Ziba is a 30-something entrepreneur who lives in the WindandSea neighborhood.