Editor’s Note: As a reader/resident courtesy, La Jolla Light presents its annual list of local civic organizations with contact information (aka Alphabet Soup). Thirteen entities provide advice to the San Diego City Council on land use, parks and beaches, public infrastructure and other important issues. The advice these groups provide can have a significant impact on La Jolla’s traffic patterns, historical preservation, parking, beach and park use, and other quality of life issues.
— La Jolla Town Council (LJTC) —
• Purpose: Having served the residents and businesses of La Jolla for more than 50 years, LJTC is the de facto Chamber of Commerce and Visitor’s Bureau for the Village of La Jolla. The group also acts, in an unofficial capacity, as a liaison with the City of San Diego in matters concerning land use planning, beautification, traffic, parks, beaches, crime and other vital concerns.
• Meets: 2nd Thursdays, 5 p.m. at La Jolla Rec Center, 615 Prospect St.
• Chair/President: Steve Haskins
• Contact: 1150 Silverado, Suite 212, lajollatowncouncil.org, (858) 454-1444
— La Jolla Community Planning Association (LJCPA) —
• Purpose: The community advisory group is charged with making recommendations to the City Council, Planning Commission, city staff and other governmental agencies on land use matters, specifically concerning the preparation of, adoption of, implementation of, or amendment to, the city’s General Plan or a land use plan when it relates to the La Jolla Community Plan boundaries. The LJCPA also advises on other land use matters as requested by the City or other governmental agency. In reviewing individual development projects, the LJCPA shall focus such review on conformance with the adopted Community Plan and/or the General Plan.
• Meets: 1st Thursdays, 6 p.m. at La Jolla Rec Center, 615 Prospect St.
• Chair/President: Joe LaCava
• Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org, lajollacpa.org
— Bird Rock Community Council (BRCC) —
• Purpose: To engage in all activities that enhance the growth and improvement of Bird Rock as a vibrant and diverse neighborhood including: administering the Bird Rock Maintenance Assessment District (MAD), maintaining roundabouts, improving cultural, charitable and community service activities, improving the quality of life and economic well-being of local residents, promoting business improvement, promoting a safe village atmosphere and honoring and preserving Bird Rock’s history.
• Meets: 1st Tuesdays, 6 p.m. at local restaurants, the Masonic Lodge or Bird Rock Elementary School
• Chair/President: Jacqueline Bell
• Contact: email@example.com, birdrockcc.org
— La Jolla Shores Association (LJSA) —
• Purpose: With a more than 40-year history, its primary purpose is to address community issues as they relate to the protection and the unique characteristics of the La Jolla Shores area. It strives to represent the interests of the community to other organizations, including local and state government agencies.
• Meets: 2nd Wednesdays, 6:30 p.m. at Building T-29, Scripps Institute of Oceanography, 8840 Biological Grade
• Chair/President: Tim Lucas
• Contact: LJSA.firstname.lastname@example.org, ljsa.org
— Development Permit Review Committee (DPR) —
• Purpose: Subcommittee of LJCPA which reviews all discretionary permits in La Jolla outside of the La Jolla Shores Planned District, reviewing projects for conformance to the La Jolla Community Plan, makes findings relative to the city of San Diego Land Development Code and submits its recommendations to the LJCPA.
• Meets: 2nd and 3rd Tuesdays, 4 p.m. at La Jolla Rec Center, Room 1, 615 Prospect St.
• Chair/President: Paul Benton
• Contact: email@example.com, (858) 459-0805
— La Jolla Planned District Ordinance Committee (PDO) —
• Purpose: Subcommittee of LJCPA which reviews development applications relating to the La Jolla Planned District Ordinance, ensuring standards are adhered to for colors, building materials, signs, facades, renovations, zoning and parking requirements.
• Meets: 2nd Mondays, 4 p.m. at La Jolla Rec Center, Room 1, 615 Prospect St.
• Chair/President: Ione Stiegler
• Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org, (858) 456-8555
— La Jolla Shores Permit Review Committee (PRC) —
• Purpose: Subcommittee of LJCPA, which reviews projects within the La Jolla Shores Planned District, forwarding recommendations to the LJCPA for ratification or denial before being sent to the city for final approval.
• Meets: 4th Tuesdays, 4 p.m. at La Jolla Rec Center, 615 Prospect St.
• Chair/President: Phil Merten
• Contact: Phil@MertenArchitect.com
— La Jolla Traffic & Transportation Board (T&T) —
• Purpose: A joint committee with members from LJCPA, LJTC, LJSA, LJVMA and BRCC that considers all proposals affecting La Jolla’s streets including striping, stop signs, traffic calming and parking curb colors, valet service, time limits, etc. Also hears special events requiring traffic control, or that affect on-street parking.
• Meets: 4th Thursdays, 4 p.m. at La Jolla Rec Center, 615 Prospect St.
• Chair/President: Todd Lesser
• Contact: email@example.com
— La Jolla Parks and Beaches, Inc. (LJP&B) —
• Purpose: Detached from La Jolla Town Council in July 2011 to become a non-profit in order to continue to advise the city on coastal parks and beaches issues and oversee fundraising and implementation of park and shoreline beautification projects.
• Meets: 4th Mondays, 4 p.m. at La Jolla Rec Center, Room 1, 615 Prospect St.
• Chair/President: Dan Allen
• Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org, lajollaparksandbeaches.org
— La Jolla Shores Planned District Advisory Board (LJSPDAB) —
• Purpose: Reviews all permit application referred to it and submits its recommendations or comments in writing within 30 days to the city’s planning director. This committee also recommends to the San Diego Planning Commission any changes to regulations, provided such changes are necessary for proper execution of the adopted community plan. The planning director or his designated representative serves as board secretary (as an ex-officio member) and maintain records of all official actions of the board, and shall not be entitled to vote.
• Meets: Third Tuesdays, 10 a.m. at La Jolla Rec Center, Room 1, 615 Prospect St.
• Chair Dan Goese. Its members are appointed by the Mayor and confirmed by the City Council.
— La Jolla Village Merchants Association (LJVMA) —
• Purpose: Represents the interests of all licensed businesses in a 30-block area of the Village of La Jolla. Through a board and committees, the group’s mission is to enhance the business community and raise funds through special events.
• Meets: 2nd Wednesdays, 8:30-10:30 a.m. at The Cuvier Club, 7776 Eads Ave.
• Chair/President: Claude-Anthony Marengo
• Contact: 1162 Prospect St., lajollabythesea.com, SFortune@lajollabythesea.com
— La Jolla Parks & Recreation, Inc. (LJPRI) —
• Purpose: Volunteer board overseas La Jolla Rec Center and its varied programs and activities for all ages.
• Meets: 4th Wednesdays, 5 p.m. at La Jolla Rec Center, Room 2, 615 Prospect St.
• Chair/President: Doug Fitzgerald
• Contact: (858) 552-1658
— La Jolla Shores Merchants Association Business Improvement District (LJSMA) BID —
• Purpose: To represent the business interests of merchants along Avenida De La Playa commercial strip.
• Meets: 1st Mondays, except December and January, 4 p.m. at Papalulu’s Restaurant, 2168 Avenida De La Playa.
• Chair/President: David Teafatiller
• Contact: email@example.com