Free admission, summer exhibits at Wisteria Cottage
Whether it’s pets or reminiscing about past summers, the La Jolla Historical Society is offering the public a look back at the life and people associated with this town beginning with its 1887 founding.
Beginning July 2, Wisteria Cottage is opening to the public with free admission from noon to 4 p.m. Thursdays and Fridays. Six exhibitions are running concurrently in the various rooms throughout the cottage.
“The Scripps Legacy: Story of a La Jolla Family” highlights one of the most influential and philanthropic names in the community’s history, while “Humble Beginnings: The Early Days of La Jolla” provides an overview of the 1887 founding of La Jolla up through the 1920s. Both exhibitions close in the fall.
Two exhibits back by popular demand (but in abridged versions) are “Merchants & Memories: Reflections of La Jolla’s Business Community Heritage” and “By the Beautiful Sea: A Photographic History of Summers in La Jolla, 1870-1930.” These exhibitions will close in September.
The final two exhibitions, scheduled to close in August, take a look back at the early animals of La Jolla. “Pets of the Past: Animals La Jollans Have Loved” features images of everything from dogs to donkeys originally displayed during the La Jolla “Pet Parade” on May 16. “Mooo!: Cows & Dairies in Early La Jolla” is a photographic display of La Jolla’s life as a “cow town.”
The Wisteria Cottage is at 780 Prospect St. For more information, call (858) 459-5335 or visit