Compiled by Sue Park from SDG&E and Energy Star materials
- Keep the summer thermostat at 78°F.
- Turn off air conditioner when you leave home.
- Close curtains or shades to keep house cool.
- Use room fans to increase comfort.
- Avoid baking and other indoor heat-producting activities on hot days.
- Ventilate when its cooler outside than inside.
- Replace light bulbs with ones that have earned the government’s Energy Star.
- Once a month, change appliance filters or clean permanent filters.
- Every spring have a qualified, licensed heating and cooling professional check your total system for proper and efficient operation.