Elegado reaches 1,000-point mark for Country Day basketball
- La Jolla Country Day’s girls’ basketball team won both its games last week in decisive fashion, and one player reached a personal milestone.
The Torreys sailed to a 96-10 victory over Santa Fe Christian on Jan. 27. Ariana Elegado had a double-double of 24 points and 11 assists, and Kelsey Plum added 21 points and nine rebounds.
Country Day beat Mt. Miguel, 66-46, on Jan. 30 behind a 24-point effort from Elegado, including her 1,000th career point. Briteesha Solomon scored 20 points and added eight rebounds.
- The Bishop’s School beat Canyon Crest Academy, 61-51, on Jan. 29.
- La Jolla fell to Our Lady of Peace, 40-18, on Jan. 26. The Vikings lost to Scripps Ranch, 42-29, on Jan. 29.
- Country Day topped Santa Fe Christian, 46-43, on Jan. 27. Frankie Bamford paced the Torreys with 24 points, 12 rebounds and eight blocks. Max Hershfield limited the Eagles’ leading scorer to just nine points.
The Torreys rolled past Clairemont, 62-22, on Jan. 30. Bamfield totaled 14 points and seven rebounds, while Jake Hershfield scored 13 and Max Hershfield added 11.
- La Jolla beat St. Augustine, 46-35, on Jan. 26. The Vikings topped Scripps Ranch, on Jan. 29.
- Bishop’s toppled Canyon Crest Academy, 67-54, on Jan. 29.
- Bishop’s secured a 2-1 win over Country Day on Jan. 25. Harrison Flagg scored twice, assisted by Stefano Vidali and Kyle Jester. Alistair Dobke scored the lone goal for Country Day, off the rebound of a Dennis Roth shot.
The Knights played to a 2-2 draw with Canyon Crest Academy on Jan. 29. Flagg scored to tie the game on a throw-in from Brett Thomas that was flicked on by Adam Malcewietz. Later, Malcewietz blasted a 25-yard shot into the top corner of the net to give Bishop’s the lead, but Canyon Crest equalized with 30 seconds to play.
- Country Day rebounded with a 4-2 win over San Diego Jewish Academy on Jan. 26. Lee Klitzner scored twice for the Torreys, and assisted on goals by Alex Fleischhacker and Roth.
The Torreys toppled Preuss, 2-1, on Jan. 29. They trailed by a goal at halftime, but Roth tied it on a spectacular 20-yard shot assisted by Noah Wolfenzon. Hunter Khaleghi put Country Day ahead on a goal assisted by Fleischhacker.
- La Jolla played to a 1-1 tie with Kearney on Jan. 27.
- Bishop’s eased to a 6-0 victory over rival Country Day on Jan. 25. Francis Harvey scored three goals. The Knights beat Canyon Crest Academy, 1-0, on Jan. 28.
- Country Day rebounded to the tune of a 10-1 win over San Diego Jewish Academy on Jan. 26. Ana Cruz led the way with a hat trick, and Aleena Young scored two goals. Erika Shephard anchored the Torreys’ defense.
The Torreys then picked up a 4-2 victory over Preuss on Jan. 29 with goals from Cruz, Kelly Mordente, Young and Katherine Klicpera.
- La Jolla beat Cathedral Catholic, 4-0, on Jan. 26 and then topped Our Lady of Peace, 3-1, on Jan. 28.
Girls water polo
- La Jolla beat Torrance, 11-4, on Jan. 29. The Vikings topped Riverside King, 10-6, on Jan. 30 and fell to Corona Santiago, 12-6, later in the day.
- Country Day skated to a 13-1 win over Mar Vista on Jan. 25. James Owsiany led all scorers with four goals and four assists. Zach Feldman contributed five goals and two assists.
Gregory Ball covers sports for La Jolla Light. He can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.