Boy Scout camp, state park reopen as Eagle fire nears full containment
City News ServiceLost Valley Boy Scout Camp in Warner Springs reopened to the public Friday following a weeklong closure prompted by a fire that has scorched 14,100 acres of brush in the rugged northeastern reaches of San Diego County and is now 90 percent contained.
The Eagle Fire was first reported about 10:40 p.m. July 21 roughly five miles east of Warner Springs, according to Cal Fire. Since then, nearly $13 million has been spent battling the blaze, which has spread throughout Los Coyotes Indian Reservation and extended into Anza-Borrego Desert State Park.
In addition to the Boy Scout camp, Anza-Borrego Desert State Park camping and trail areas were reopened to the public Friday.
The Eagle Fire was caused by arson, Cal Fire has said. But details will not be released until the investigation is completed, said Cal Fire Battalion Chief Nick Schuler.
Seventeen firefighters have been injured in the blaze and one outbuilding has been destroyed, Cal Fire reported.
As of Friday morning, the blaze was 90 percent contained, with Cal Fire projecting full containment by Saturday.
The agency began releasing some of its fire crews as full containment neared. About 1,400 fire personnel remained assigned to the fire as of 7 a.m. Friday. Earlier this week, more than 2,100 local, state and federal personnel were deployed, along with water-dropping aircraft.
Along with Cal Fire, agencies cooperating in firefighting efforts included the San Diego County Fire Authority, U.S. Forest Service, Bureau of Indian Affairs, the San Diego County Sheriff’s Department, the California Conservation Corps and departments of Parks and Recreation and of Corrections, the California National Guard, the Bureau of Land Management, and U.S Customs and Border Protection.