Business Spotlight: La Jolla’s Map Museum marking its fifth year



The Map and Atlas Museum of La Jolla recently celebrated five years on the La Jolla museum scene. Founded in 2010 by La Jollan Mike Stone, the Museum features some of the world’s rarest cartography, as well as rotating special exhibitions. The Museum has seen visitors from around the globe; some making the trip to La Jolla particularly to see certain maps. The Museum’s educational program has hosted school groups from second grade to the university level.

This summer’s special exhibit is a selection of maps from 19th Century Gold Rushes around the world. Thirteen maps, including four highlighting the 1849 California Gold Rush, are complemented by a selection of ephemera and privately-minted gold coins.

Map and Atlas Museum of La Jolla is located at 7825 Fay Ave., Suite LL-A in the courtyard level of the Merrill Lynch Building at Fay Avenue and Silverado Street. Open 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Wednesdays, Thursdays and the first and third Saturdays of the month. Admission is always free. Phone: 855-653-6277. For information, visit

The Business Spotlight features commercial enterprises that support the La Jolla Light.