Bishop’s lose early lead, end in tie against Kearny, 3-3

By Ed Piper

The Bishop’s School boys soccer team jumped out to an early 2-0 lead over visiting Kearny and seemed well on the way to victory dec. 10. but such are the fortunes and unpredictability of high school sports that the Kearny Komets scored three straight goals in a nine-minute span to start the second half, and forced the Bishop’s Knights to settle for a 3-3 tie in a non-league encounter.

Freshman midfielder Carlo Tridenti started things off for Bishop’s with a header from straight in front of the net in about the 20th minute of play. (High school teams play two 40-minute halves.)

Fellow freshman Tanner Coleman followed about 14 minutes later, with six minutes left in the first half. His kick came off a ball that rolled toward him on the left in front of the goal after players from both teams, including the Kearny goalie, went up in the air to try to head the ball. Coleman took advantage of the open goal to score.

Coleman, playing left midfielder, recalled of his goal: “The goalie was next to me. I kicked it to his right.” Tanner, 15, commented on the Knights’ first half success, “We were moving the ball, switching it from side to side. In the second half, we just let it get away in the first 15 minutes.”

Tridenti, asked about his opening goal, merely said, “I just headed it in.” He couldn’t recall details of the play, but he did say of scoring, “It felt good.” He had another opportunity only a few minutes after his goal, but his attempt this time was wide left.

After the clock was turned off near the end of regulation time in the second half, the Knights trailing 3-2, junior Chris Alleyne was awarded a penalty shot. Alleyne, a junior, was able to net the kick to tie the game at 3-3.

Kearny’s goals in between were scored by ray Tamaric, a freshman, who put in a pair, and sophomore Jose Anguiano. The goals came with 38:48 left in the second period. Said senior Grant Brutten, a senior midfielder and captain: “It was a fast game. I thought we played well the first half. We came apart a little (at the start of the second half). That’s how they scored.” Bishop’s coach Malcolm Tovey said: “The beginning of the second half, we started some of the younger players to get them some experience. It’s a non-league game, so it’s not as if the result matters as much. We’re trying to integrate them into the squad, because you don’t win a CIF championship with a team. You win it with a squad. And they’ve (subs) got to be able to play.

“Unfortunately, Kearny started out really brightly (in the second half). We made a couple of mistakes. It turned around from being up two to being down 3-2.

“I give my guys a lot of credit. We then reasserted ourselves, changed our formation, changed the way we played, and they really didn’t get out of their half (of the field) the last 25 minutes.

“So overall, if it was a boxing match, we would have won on points. But I’m glad we didn’t lose the game.”

Tovey singled out defender Alleyne for his work: “I think Chris is such a dominant force, whether he plays in the back or in midfield. Wherever you play him, he always instigates something and makes something happen. We call him the ‘Iron Lung’ because he can run forever.”

Tovey, with his delightful Bristol, england accent, said he has been Bishop’s coach for “16 or 17 years.”

Of the season’s outlook as a whole, Brutten, 18, in his fourth year on varsity, said: “We think we’ll have a good run in CIF. Last year we went to the semifinals and lost to Coronado, 0-1. We hope we can get to the same spot this year. It’ll be tough because we lost a lot of good seniors (10). But everyone lost students. So I think we should be on the same playing field.”

Tovey applauded the play of his four captains so far this season: “Matt Healey, Ian Caples, Brutten (all seniors), and Alleyne are all having outstanding seasons and providing excellent leadership to their peers.”