Bishop’s girls water polo captures San Diego Open
The girls water polo team from The Bishop’s School won all six of its games last week in the San Diego Open, capturing the tournament title for the seventh consecutive season.
On Feb. 1, the Knights topped Mt. Carmel, 12-5, behind a four-goal effort from Sammi Peck.
Later that day, they topped Torrey Pines, 14-6, thanks to three goals apiece from Kirsten Siegel, Sarah Presant and Peck.
Bishop’s eased past Otay Ranch, 16-1, on Feb. 5. Peck and Claryann Olofsson-Loo each scored four goals, and Gabby Stone made 15 saves.
Also on Feb. 5, the Knights swam past Granite Hills, 15-1, in the quarterfinals. Presant and Jessica Webster each had four goals.
In the Feb. 6 semifinals, Bishop’s rolled to a 15-2 win over Steele Canyon. Erin Pannek led the way with four goals.
On Feb. 7, Bishop’s topped Fallbrook, 15-4, in the championship game, as Siegel and Peck each registered a hat trick.
- La Jolla fell to Lincoln, 55-43, on Feb. 1. Taylor Davis, Mike Soumekh and Jack Latta each scored 11 points.
The Vikings dropped a 69-50 decision to Cathedral Catholic on Feb. 5. Latta led the team in scoring with 14 points.
- Country Day secured a 50-38 victory over Horizon Christian on Feb. 3, behind 15 points from Sage Burmeister.
The Torreys suffered a 65-49 defeat to Canyon Crest Academy on Feb. 6.
- Bishop’s beat Army-Navy Academy, 58-53, on Feb. 1, led by 19 points and 10 rebounds from Maliik Love.
The Knights had an eight-game winning streak snapped in a 56-52 loss to Francis Parker on Feb. 3. Stephen Kaiser had 15 points and 10 rebounds.
Bishop’s bounced back with a 42-32 win over Horizon Christian on Feb. 5. Love scored 14.
- La Jolla topped Lincoln, 47-32, on Feb. 1, behind Taylor Templeton’s 19 points.
The Vikings fell to Cathedral Catholic, 64-26, on Feb. 5. Bianca Mitchell scored 16 points.
- Country Day rolled to a 57-17 victory over Horizon Christian on Feb. 3. Kelsey Plum led the way with 17 points, and Maya Hood added 12 points and 10 rebounds.
The Torreys topped Villa Park, 77-42, on Feb. 5. Kaylah Miller had five three-pointers, totaling 15 points. Briteesha Solomon led the scoring with 17 points, and Plum added 16.
Country Day secured its 14th straight win on Feb. 6, a 60-29 drubbing of Canyon Crest Academy. Malina Hood scored 14 points.
- Bishop’s rolled to a 94-37 win over Francis Parker on Feb. 3. Alissa Campanero led the way with 26 points, Brianna Martinez added 21, and Elaina White had 19.
The Knights topped Horizon Christian, 87-59, on Feb. 5. White scored 30 and had eight rebounds.
Bishop’s fell to San Diego High, 64-53, in the Coaches vs. Cancer tournament on Feb. 6, despite Campanero’s 19 points.
- La Jolla fell to St. Augustine, 3-1, on Feb. 1.
- Country Day won its third straight game on Feb. 2, beating Horizon Christian, 7-2. Dennis Roth scored three times.
The Torreys edged league-leading Canyon Crest, 1-0, on Feb. 4 when Lee Klitzner scored the game’s lone goal with eight minutes to play. Mical Bailey earned the shutout.
- Bishop’s played to a scoreless draw with Francis Parker on Feb. 2 and then toppled Horizon Christian, 5-0, on Feb. 4 when Stefan Vidali scored three goals.
- La Jolla topped University City, 3-0, on Feb. 1. Melanie Lock, Karly Zlatic and Itzel Caro scored, and Alex Abbott made six saves.
The Vikings fell to Coronado, 2-0, on Feb. 4.
- Country Day secured a 2-1 victory over Horizon on Feb. 2. Katherine Klicpera and Erika Shepard scored.
The Torreys toppled Canyon Crest Academy, 2-1, on Feb. 4. Shepard and Ana Cruz scored. The team then fell to Francis Parker, 4-0, on Feb. 5.
- Bishop’s beat Francis Parker, 2-0, on Feb. 2. Geny Decker scored twice, and Laura Aguilar had two assists.
- Country Day beat Southwest, 12-2, on Feb. 1. The Torreys skated to a 22-2 win over Chula Vista on Feb. 2.
Gregory Ball covers sports for La Jolla Light. He can be reached at email@example.com.