Bishop’s edges Country Day in soccer
- The Bishop’s School topped city rival La Jolla Country Day, 2-1, on Feb. 9 in a key Coastal League South boys’ soccer match. Harrison Flagg and Stefano Vidali scored second-half goals for the Knights. Dennis Roth scored the Torreys’ lone goal, from 25 yards out in the first half.
- Country Day bounced back for a 1-0 victory over Francis Parker on Feb. 11. Rodrigo Cuenca scored the game’s only goal, volleying in a flicked on header from Roth. Michael Bailey earned the shutout in goal.
- La Jolla edged Kearney, 2-1, on Feb. 8, but then dropped a 2-1 decision to University City on Feb. 10.
- La Jolla fell, 2-1, to Cathedral Catholic on Feb. 11. Brianna Chapman scored the Vikings’ only goal.
- Bishop’s edged Country Day, 1-0, on Feb. 9. Geny Decker scored the game’s only goal, and Devan Osegueda recorded the shutout in goal.
The Knights notched a 6-0 win over San Dieguito Academy on Feb. 11. Decker scored twice, and Elyse Tierney, Sarah Noble, Laura Aguilar and Megan Hastings added single goals.
- Country Day fell to Francis Parker, 1-0, on Feb. 11, with the only goal coming on a penalty kick.
- La Jolla fell to Mission Bay, 50-42, on Feb. 9. Jack Latta scored 11 points for the Vikings.
- Bishop’s beat Country Day, 57-48, on Feb. 10. Dominique Love led the way with 18 points, and Stephen Kaiser had 14 points and eight rebounds for the Knights.
Bishop’s toppled Canyon Crest Academy, 67-42, on Feb. 12. Maliik Love scored 29 points and had 10 rebounds, while Kaiser added 23 points as the Knights moved to 23-5 this season.
- Country Day topped Army-Navy Academy, 61-27, on Feb. 12.
- La Jolla beat Mission Bay, 49-45, on Feb. 9. Taylor Templeton scored 13 points and had 12 rebounds for the Vikings. Bianca Mitchell scored 11 points and Jillian Frager had 10.
- Country Day secured a 59-50 victory over Bishop’s on Feb. 10, wrapping up the Coastal League South title in the process. Maya Hood paced the Torreys with 16 points and 14 rebounds. Ariana Elegado scored 15 points, and Kelsey Plum added nine points along with a key steal that sparked a key 8-0 fourth-quarter run. Bryn Stark led the Knights with 13 points and 11 rebounds. Alissa Campanero added 12 points, and Elaine White had 10.
- Bishop’s rebounded with a 64-31 victory over Canyon Crest Academy on Feb. 12.
Girls water polo
- Bishop’s topped La Jolla, 10-4, on Feb. 8. Kate Woods and Ariel Arcidiacono each had two goals for La Jolla.
The Knights are scheduled to host Canyon Crest in a first-round CIF San Diego Section Division II playoff game Feb. 18.
- La Jolla fell to Coronado, 12-5, on Feb. 9. Woods scored three times for the Vikings, while Bridgette Souza and Victoria Frager each scored once.
The Vikings bounced back for a 9-6 win over Cathedral Catholic on Feb. 11. Christina Kirby and Arcidiacono each scored twice.
La Jolla is scheduled to host Valley Center to open the D-II playoffs on Feb. 18.
- Country Day beat Castle Park, 22-0, on Feb. 8.
- La Jolla competed at the City Conference championships on Feb. 13, with some solid individual results. David Blasques placed second in the heavyweight division, Quinn Strauser was third at 142 pounds, and Matt Vasques was fourth at 154.
Gregory Ball covers sports for La Jolla Light. He can be reached at email@example.com.