BBQ Duck Tacos
DUCK CONFIT CURE
Yield: 4 quarts
• 1/2 pound salt • 1/2 pound brown sugar• 4 oz. cayenne pepper • 8 oz. chili powder• 8 oz. smoked paprika
1. Mix all ingredients together. 2. Store in air-tight container.
PROCESS FOR CONFIT
1. Rub duck legs (1 1/2 pounds) with cure. 2. Store overnight. 3. In morning, wipe cure off legs, and place in 600 hotel pan. 4. Cover with duck fat/blended oil. 5. Cover with plastic/foil. 6. Cook in 350-degree oven for 30 minutes. 7. Reduce heat to 300 degrees, and cook for 4 hours.
Pull/shred duck, heat in Stone Levitation BBQ sauce.Place duck mixture onto (3) heated 5" corn tortillas.Top with shredded asiago cheese and pineapple habañero salsa.
PINEAPPLE SALSA Yield: 2-1/2 cups
• 2 cups pineapple, peeled, diced• 1 Tablespoons habañero chile, seeded, finely chopped (more or less as desired)• 1/4 cup red onion, finely chopped• 1/8 cup cilantro, chopped• 1/8 cup lime juice
1. Place all ingredients in large bowl and mix thoroughly until combined. 2. Store in refrigerator. 3. Can be made up to 1 day in advance.
Note: Can substitute mango or peaches for the pineapple.
BLACK BEANS Yield: 2 quarts
• 1 pound black beans, dry, washed• 2 bay leaves • ½ teaspoon oregano, dried• ½ teaspoon ground cumin• ½ teaspoon ground black pepper • Water, to cover• 1 red onion, chopped• Salt, to taste • Lime juice, to taste
• 1 bunch cilantro
1. Combine beans and all seasonings, add enough water to cover by 1 inch in large soup pot, and bring to a boil. 2. Simmer until beans are tender and most of liquid is absorbed. (Make sure to keep an eye on liquid level during cooking.) 3. Add lime juice and cilantro.
BROWN RICE Yield: 2 quarts
• 2 cups parboiled brown rice• 3 cups vegetable stock• 1/2 yellow onion, small dice• 1 tomato, canned • 3 cloves garlic, chopped• 1 teaspoon paprika• 1 teaspoon cumin• 1 teaspoon coriander • Salt, to taste
• Black pepper, to taste
1. Sweat onion and garlic on a medium flame. Add brown rice and rest of ingredients.