Art and wine combine at festival to benefit elementary schools
By Susan DeMaggio
Staff WriterFounder/chairwoman Sherry Ahern and her committee of 50 volunteers are hoping you’re ready to attend the La Jolla Art and Wine Festival this weekend, Oct. 9 and 10, along Upper Girard Ave. and the La Jolla Elementary School playground.
The organizers beckon you to two days of community fun, starting each day at 11 a.m. and continuing through 6 p.m. with 300 booths offering juried art, food and beverages — all in support of La Jolla’s three public elementary schools (Bird Rock, Torrey Pines and La Jolla), which have been impacted by budget cuts. Last year, guests sent nearly $40,000 to local education, and organizers say this year’s festival only promises to grow.
The highlight of the event is the work of some 150 artists who were selected from more than 250 applicants to exhibit at the festival. They will showcase everything from sculpture to photography, across a wide range of prices, a boon for holiday gift-shoppers.
Entertainment, produced by Mitch Feingold Presents, will feature local music and dance artists.
This year, an expanded food court and grassy seating have been added. A dozen local restaurants, including Lemongrass Asian Barbecue and Rubio’s, will serve trademark dishes, and Open Aire Market favorite Belinda, will serve her South-of-the-Border treats. A wine and beer garden will pour out some of the region’s award-winning beverages.
There will also be a family art center with a crafts table for kids and a display of student artwork from La Jolla schools. Storytellers and authors will be on-site to add to the fun.
Guests can park in local lots or use the free shuttle service to and from parking at Muirlands Middle School and La Jolla High School. Valet parking will also be available on the south side of Genter Street. Festival admission is $10-$5.
If you go
- What:La Jolla Art & Wine Festival
- Where:Upper Girard Ave. (Pearl/Genter), and La Jolla Elementary School playground
- When:11 a.m. to 6 p.m. Saturday and Sunday
- Tickets:Available at the festival, adult two-day pass $15, one-day $10; ages 12 and under, military, and 65+ $5
- Map/vendor list:www.lajollaartandwinefestival.com
- Note:No Open Aire Market on Sunday, Oct. 10 due to the festival!
- 11 a.m. - Singer/songwriter Charlie Imes
- Noon - Singer/songwriters Benjamin Myers and Tad Wagner
- 1 p.m. - Brazilian Jazz, Solemar Group
- 2 p.m. - Singer/songwriter Sven-Erik Seaholm
- 3 p.m. - Jazz quartet, ZZYMZZY
- 4 p.m. - Eveoke Dance Theatre
- 5 p.m. - Doo-Wop A Cappella, The Royals
- 11 a.m. – Singer/songwriters Larry and Ivan Robinson
- Noon - Singer/songwriter Brooke MacIntosh
- 1 p.m. – Singer/songwriter Steph Johnson
- 2 p.m. - Stage Seven School of Dance, Tangocentric
- 3 p.m. - Singer/songwriter Lisa Sanders
- 4 p.m. - Singer/songwriter Randi Driscoll
- 5 p.m. - Singer/songwriter Gregory Page