La Jolla Light wins five awards from Society of Professional Journalists
The La Jolla Light received five reporting and writing awards in the non-daily category, including two first-place honors, at the Society of Professional Journalists San Diego Pro Chapter’s July 21 awards ceremony for work published in 2021.
Light staff writer Elisabeth Frausto won the following:
• First place, series: “La Jolla Heroines”
• Second place, environment story: “Can UCSD doctoral student’s findings on pelicans’ ‘wave-slope soaring’ give drones a lift?”
Staff writer Ashley Mackin-Solomon won these awards:
• First place, housing/development story: “Hillel Center near UC San Diego breaks ground after 20 years of challenges”
• Second place, feature story: “A PATH to housing: Specialists reach out to those in La Jolla who are homeless for the holidays”
• Second place, series: Stories throughout the year about closure of Point La Jolla
The Light and its U-T Community Press sister papers in Carmel Valley, Del Mar, Poway, Ramona, Rancho Bernardo and Rancho Santa Fe combined for 21 awards in all, including seven first-place honors. ◆
Get the La Jolla Light weekly in your inbox
News, features and sports about La Jolla, every Thursday for free
You may occasionally receive promotional content from the La Jolla Light.