Best Bets for the Break: A quick guide to online entertainment and virtual experiences
The La Jolla Light presents this continuing series of online activities to undertake on your computer or tablet during your quarantine quandary.
• Residents are asked to ring a bell at 6:44 p.m. Saturday, June 6, in observance of the 76th anniversary of D-Day, when Allied forces invaded northern France during World War II. This is part of the Freedom Rings Global initiative. freedomrings.global
Lectures & learning
• The La Jolla Community Center’s Distinguished Speaker Series continues online at 10 a.m. Tuesday, June 9. This session will feature Elaine LaLanne, a fitness expert, motivational speaker and author (and wife of late fitness icon Jack LaLanne), who will address the topics of fitness, health and longevity. Free. Registration is required via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Warwick’s, Liz Fenton and Lisa Steinke will host author Hannah McKinnon online at 5 p.m. Tuesday, June 9. The free event features a discussion of McKinnon’s new book, “The View from Here.” For information, visit warwicks.com.
• Vanguard Culture presents “The Forum: Money Making for Creatives — Adapting and Thriving in Uncertain Times with Shaun Cassidy,” founder of Cassidy Creative Solutions. The online workshop will be held via Zoom from noon to 1:30 p.m. Friday, June 12. It is intended to help artists maneuver through the dozens of available resources for a donation. bit.ly/vc-moneymaking
Cooking & creating
• The San Diego Poetry Annual and Border Voices Poetry Project present their first combined online reading and open mic event at 7 p.m. Friday, June 12, featuring San Diego poet laureate Ron Salisbury, Garden Oak Press author Al Zolynas, other published writers and any other participants who would like to share one poem. Free. Email email@example.com to sign up and receive the Zoom link.
Family & children
• San Diego company A-Taste-of-Tech is offering a free online course that teaches website development for beginners. The videos, for all ages, guide students to create their own website. The videos can be accessed at bit.ly/tasteoftechwebsite.
Travel & outdoors
• You can tour Yosemite National Park virtually anytime from your screen through an interactive experience that includes more than 220 locations in Yosemite and surrounding areas. bit.ly/virtualyosemite
Art & culture
• The San Diego Museum of Art holds an online video series in partnership with Art of Elan at 6 p.m. every other Tuesday. Featuring musical performances inspired by works of art from the museum’s permanent collection, the concerts begin Tuesday, June 9, with a violin performance from Art of Elan Executive and Artistic Director Kate Hatmaker. Free via the museum’s YouTube channel, youtube.com/user/SanDiegoMuseumofArt.
• Scripps Ranch Theatre and Oceanside Theatre Company will hold an online reading of “The Longer You Wait” at 7 p.m. Saturday, June 6. The play, a romantic comedy-drama by Paul Coates set in San Diego, will be available via Zoom for a donation. scrippsranchtheatre.org/longer
• La Jolla Playhouse has postponed the scheduled June 9 premiere of “Binge,” the third show of its all-digital 2020 Without Walls Festival. The one-on-one Zoom performance piece involves a performer choosing an episode of a classic TV show for an audience member that they watch together as a means of opening a conversation. It’s personalized after the ticket buyer fills out a questionnaire. For updates and more information, visit lajollaplayhouse.org.
Virtual summer camps
• A virtual summer camp is available beginning Monday, June 15, from San Diego Junior Theater. Held via Zoom, each camp (available across all ages) offers innovative ways for children to participate and create remotely. juniortheater.com/classes
• North Coast Repertory Theatre offers performance-based theater camps online beginning Monday, June 15. Camps are offered at various times by age group and are designed to inspire children to learn new skills while creating theatrical fun. For information, visit northcoastreptheatreschool.org.
— What have you found for entertainment from a (social) distance? Email your leads to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Get the La Jolla Light weekly in your inbox
News, features and sports about La Jolla, every Thursday for free
You may occasionally receive promotional content from the La Jolla Light.