A Magic Carpet Ride
The next J*Company Youth Theatre production will take theater-goers to a "whole new world" with "Aladdin, Jr." Sept. 10-25 in the Garfield Theatre at the Jewish Community Center, 4126 Executive Drive. It's based on the Academy-Award winning musical Disney film about a homeless boy that falls for an Arabian princess and gets some help from a hilarious genie to win her heart. Tickets: $19, with discounts available. (858) 362-1348. sdcjc.org/jcompany
• Sweet Caroline! The Social Service League of La Jolla's Summer Musicale series presents Neil Diamond impersonator Steve Roth, 5 p.m. Wednesday, Sept. 14 at the Darlington House, 7441 Olivetas Ave. Proceeds from this fundraiser go toward the maintenance of League House, La Jolla's low-income housing unit for senior citizens. Tickets $45. (858) 454-7625.
• Classical guitar virtuosos, Robert Wetzel and Fred Benedetti, will perform masterworks for two guitars by Vivaldi, Scarlatti, Beethoven, Schubert, Chopin and Bach, among others, at 7 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 10 at Mount Soledad Presbyterian Church, 6551 Soledad Mountain Road. Admission: $10. (858) 248-9300.
Quite a Variety
• La Jolla Rec Center is gearing up for its first Youth Variety Show with auditions this week! (The big day is Oct. 13.) The talent call is out for: singers, dancers, magicians, tumblers, musicians — ages 5-14. Get ready to show your stuff 5-6:30 p.m. Tuesday Sept. 13 and Thursday, Sept. 16. $15 per entry. 615 Prospect St. (858) 552-1658. bit.ly/ljreccenter
• On Sept. 9, La Jolla Library will host two events, one for the kiddos and one for adults. At 10 a.m., little scientists can learn about the science of sound (different ways sound is produced and how it travels) with staff from the Ruben H. Fleet Science Center. At 3 p.m., "Spellbound" (1945, Alfred Hitchcock) screens as part of the Film Noir series. It stars Gregory Peck and Ingrid Bergman. Both events are free. 7555 Draper Ave. (858) 552-1657. lajollalibrary.org
• The San Diego Surf Film Festival "Best of the Fest" (screening the award winners) concludes 7 p.m. Thursday, Sept. 15 with The Best of the Fest Shorts, featuring the best short films from 2011-2016. Screenings at Misfit Pictures HQ, 565 Pearl St. Suite 100. Tickets: $10. (858) 291-8553. misfitpictures.com
• The Allied Artist Association of San Diego presents the works of Katarzyna Lappin and David Ainsley, with a public reception 5 p.m. Friday, Sept. 2 at La Jolla Community Center, 6811 La Jolla Blvd. Light refreshments. Guests are welcome to bring family and friends. Free. (858) 459-0831. ljcommunitycenter.org
• An opening reception for "Homage/Sublime" featuring the sculpture and paintings of Jeff Irwin and Rex Yuasa will be 5 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 10 at R.B. Stevenson Gallery, 7661 Girard Ave. The exhibit runs through Oct. 8. Free. (858) 459-3917. rbstevensongallery.com
Worth a Drive
• The Old Globe Theatre's 2016 Shakespeare Festival concludes with "Love's Labor's Lost," through Sept. 18. Outdoor evening shows at the Lowell Davies Festival Theatre, 1363 Old Globe Way in Balboa Park, San Diego. Shakespeare's delightful romantic comedy is an unabashed celebration of innocence, idealism and the sweet folly of young love. Tickets from $29. (619) 234-5623. firstfoliosandiego2016.org
• During the 38th annual Cardiff Greek Festival, experience the sights, sounds, tastes and aromas of Greece, 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 10 and 11 a.m. to 9 p.m. Sunday, Sept. 11 on the grounds of Saints Constantine and Helen Church, 3459 Manchester Ave., Cardiff. Free parking at the adjacent MiraCosta College. Admission: $3. cardiffgreekfest.com