For the broth:
3 tablespoons light Olive oil
1 each medium onion, halved and sliced
1 each leek, greens removed, halved and sliced
1 each large fennel bulb, fronds removed, halved and sliced
8 each cloves garlic, rough chopped
1 tablespoon kosher salt
1 tablespoon fennel seed, toasted
2 sprigs fresh thyme
2 sprigs fresh tarragon
1 each bay leaf
1 teaspoon Red pepper flake
2 ½ quarts vegetable stock
1. In a large stockpot heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onion, leek, fennel, garlic, salt and stir vigorously. Cook covered until translucent. Stir often being careful not to brown.
2. Stir in fennel seed, thyme, tarragon, bay leaf and red pepper flake.
3. Add vegetable stock and bring to a boil. Reduce to a low simmer for about 30 minutes.
4. Strain through a fine mesh strainer, reserving the liquid, and discard the vegetables.
5. Season soup to taste with salt.
2 medium russet potatoes
1 teaspoon salt
1 pinch black pepper
1 Tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
1 teaspoon chives, chopped
2/3 cup pastry or low gluten flour, sifted
1 each egg yolk, beaten
1. bake potatoes, at 350’F for 1 hour, or until they are cooked through. Remove potatoes from oven and immediately cut in half lengthwise allowing the steam to escape. Carefully scoop the inside out of each half and pass through a ricer into a medium mixing bowl.
2. While potatoes are still hot, add salt, black pepper, parmesan cheese, chives, flour and egg yolk. Gently mix ingredients with your hands until evenly distributed, then press and fold until ingredients form a dough.
3. On a well-floured surface, roll dumpling dough into a log and cut into 4 even pieces. Roll each piece into a ribbon about ½ inch in diameter. Cut dumplings into ½ inch long pieces.
4. Bring reserved vegetable soup to a boil. Carefully put the cut dumplings into the soup. Lower the heat to a simmer. The dumplings will slowly start to float. When they do, they are cooked.
5. Ladle soup and dumplings into a bowl over your favorite spring vegetables (peas, asparagus, baby spinach). Garnish with Parmesan cheese, croutons and lemon oil.