From museum reports
From museum reports
Seventeen “smart and provocative short films that will delight, engage, and challenge moviegoers,” constitute the ninth annual “alt.pictureshows,” set for 7 to 10 p.m. Thursday, Aug. 25 in the Museum of Contemporary Art’s Sherwood Auditorium, 700 Prospect St.
Organized by filmmaker and MCASD’s film curator, Neil Kendricks, this year's works push the envelope of what can be achieved in the short-film format, ranging from the winner of Best Short Film at the 2011 Sundance Film Festival, Matt Piedmont's “Brick Novax's Diary,” to the hard-hitting, kitchen-sink realism of British film director Daniel Mulloy's “Baby.”
Directors said this year's event also includes the playfully irreverent “Logorama,” the 2010 Academy Award winner for Best Animated Short Film.
Part art happening, part film installation, “alt.pictureshows” will also feature surreal animations by Kelly Sears, Cesar Cabral, and the new experimental short, “All Flowers in Time,” by Jonathan Caouette of “Tarnation” fame. Many of the program's short films have not been rated and contain adult content.
Museum-goers will be free to dip in and out of rooms at will to sample an offbeat cross-section of films linked either by a common theme, sensibility, or both in what promises to be an evening where “physical channel surfing” is encouraged.
The screening of Cathy Alberich’s documentary “Ready to Wear,” which follows three women from both sides of the border united by their love of vintage clothing, inspired a unique installation in the museum's downstairs thoughtLAB, a reading room used to give visitors a deeper look into the exhibition on view. Mannequins wearing garments from Tijuana's clothing designers and a multimedia presentation will showcase how fashion has inspired art and film in the region.
On the adjacent Miles Terrace, guests may watch a fashion show at 8 p.m. There will also be a cash bar and DJ-spun music. Festival tickets are $5, and free to museum members.
MCASD's Film Program is made possible by grant support from The James Irvine Foundation and contributors to MCASD's Annual Fund. Institutional support for MCASD is provided, in part, by the City of San Diego Commission for Arts and Culture.
If you go
If you go
When: 7-10 p.m. today
Where: Sherwood Auditorium, MCASD, 700 Prospect St.
Tickets: $5 at the door, free to museum members
Contact: (858) 454-3541
www.mcasd.org Film Lineup:
'TOON TOWN TROUBLEMAKERS' DETENTION HALL
· Jupitor Elicius (6 min.) by Kelly Sears
· Storm (10 min.) by Cesar Cabral
· Logorama (16 min.) by Francois Alaux, Herve de Crecy and Ludovic Houplain
· Brick Novax's Diary (16 min.) by Matt Piedmont
· Comics Are Everywhere Extended Trailer (3:10 min.) by Neil Kendricks
GLOBAL WANDERLUST STATION
· Heartbreak in 209 Cuts (7:27 min.) by Teri Carson
· We're Leaving (13 min.) by Zachary Treitz
· Skateistan: To Live and Skate Kabul (9 min.) by Orlando von Einsiedel
· Three Wheels (16:30 min.) by Tony Wei
· All Flowers in Time (14 min.) by Jonathan Caouette
· Danse Macabre (8 min.) by Pedro Pires
· Yearbook (10 min.) by Carter Smith
· Baby (25 min.) by Daniel Mulroy
READY-TO-WEAR CRASH PAD
· Ready to Wear (25 min.) by Cathy Alberich
THE WAILING WALL
· Orlando's Donde Vas music video (4:43 min.) by Aaron Soto
· Orlando's Solo Dios Sabe music video (4:42 min.) by Aaron Soto
· Santelle's Unamonos music video (6:24 min.) by Aaron Soto