By Kathy Day email@example.com
By Kathy Day
The people assisting in the search for a new UCSD chancellor will gather on campus Oct. 28 for a series of closed meetings to talk about parameters for the search.
Marye Ann Fox, who has led the campus since 2004, will step down in June to return to teaching chemistry and research as a distinguished professor.
On Friday, University of California President Mark G. Yudof, who will convene the search committee, named 15 people — UCSD faculty, staff, students and alumni as well as a list of regents and others from around the state — to an advisory to assist with recruiting, screening and interviewing candidates, with the goal to recommend a nominee to UC regents by May.
"As Marye Anne Fox demonstrated in adding striking breadth and depth to the university's already sterling reputation, strong leadership is essential to quality," Yudof said in a statement.
He is scheduled to be at UCSD for the Oct. 28 meetings and will participate in a luncheon with alumni, donors and community leaders.
Committee members are:
• Yudof and Sherry Lansing, chair of the Board of Regents, are ex-officio members of the panel.
• UC Regents Dr. William de la Peña, Eddie Island, George Kieffer, Bonnie Reiss and Charlene Zettel.
• Faculty representatives Robert Anderson, chair of the UC Academic Council and UC Berkeley professor of economics and math; Elizabeth Bjork, professor, UCLA Department of Cognitive Psychology; James Carmody, professor, UC San Diego Department of Theatre and Dance; Sandra Daley, professor, UC San Diego Department of Pediatrics; and Katja Lindenberg, professor, UC San Diego Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry.
• Staff representative Dave Wargo, chair, UC San Diego Staff Association and facilities manager for computer science and engineering.
• Student representatives Alyssa Wing, president, Associated Students, UC San Diego; and R. John Alaniz, UC San Diego graduate student in history and former chair of the Graduate Student Association.
• Alumni representative Peter Preuss of the Preuss Family Foundation.
• UC San Diego Foundation representative Dr. Irwin M. Jacobs.