(Served with burnt cabbage leaf + tomato + chili + pecorino + hen egg)
Yield: 3-4 portions
• 6 ½ oz. gunciali (bacon or pancetta would be a good substitution), cut into lardons or medium dice
• 2 ¼ oz. red onion, small dice
• 1 ½ oz. calabrian chili, thinly sliced (substitute with quality red chili flakes; to desired heat)
• 20 grams garlic, minced
• 3 ¼ oz. white wine• 18 oz. tomato Sauce
• 3 ½ oz. burnt savoy cabbage leafs, roughly cut into 1inch pieces.
• 9 grams fresh chopped parsley
• Cracked black pepper to taste
• Salt to taste
• 16 oz. bucatini pasta
• 2 ½ oz. plus 1 oz set aside of grated pecorino cheese
• 3 hen eggs poached to desired doneness
METHOD: Bring 8 quarts of water to a boil and season with ½ cup of salt. Bring 2 quarts of water just below boiling point seasoned with ¼ cup of white vinegar.In a large sauté pan begin to render out your guanciali until golden brown and crispy. Add red onions and sweat until they start to become translucent.
Add chilies and minced garlic and sauté until the garlic become light golden brown in color. Take off the flame and deglaze with your white wine and begin to reduce. In the mean time drop your bucatini in the seasoned boiling water and cook for approximately 2-3 min. You want the noodle to be al dente because you will continue to cook the noddle in its own sauce. Once the the wine is reduced ¾ of the way add your tomato sauce.
Once the pasta is finished cooking add the pasta into the sauce. Don’t be afraid to let some of the starchy pasta water get in your sauce as it will help the viscosity of your sauce base. Add your “burnt” cabbage leafs and cook down until the sauce starts to stick to the pasta. Toss in 2 ½ oz of grated pecorino and sauté until cheese is really mixed in and is one with the sauce. Season the pasta with fresh cracked black pepper and salt to taste.
Before plating poach off 3-4 hen eggs until desired doneness. Place the pasta in a large bowl and grate the remaining 1 oz of pecorino all over the pasta. Place the poached eggs on top and garnish with the fresh cracked black pepper, parsley and some quality extra virgin olive oil.