Kobe Beef Burger
• 10 ounces ground Kobe beef
• 1 brioche egg bun or whichever flavor desired, toasted
• 1/2 cup sliced shiitake mushrooms
• 1/2 cup sliced shishito peppers or a similar medium-spiced pepper
- 3 to 4 tablespoons olive oil
• Salt and pepper to taste
• 2 ounces sliced, sharp white cheddar cheese
Form the Kobe beef into a patty, season with salt and pepper, and grill on high heat according to desired doneness. (For medium-rare, approximately 3 to 4 minutes each side.)
Heat sauté pan with oil. Add peppers and mushrooms, and season with salt and pepper to taste. Add to the top of the burger once cooked. Add cheese, Nori Onion Rings and Spicy Hawaiian BBQ Mayo.
Nori Onion Rings
• 1 medium Maui sweet onion, sliced into thin rings
• 1 cup of flour (tempura or wheat-based preferred)
• 1/2 cup cornstarch
• 6 cups vegetable or canola oil for deep frying
Marinate the Maui onion rings in a 1/2 cup of buttermilk and dried nori powder to taste.
Mix together dry ingredients and add marinated onions, making sure to shake off excess liquid.
Heat oil in a pan with high sides to avoid splattering or a deep-fat fryer.
Add onions and fry until golden brown and crispy.
Season with kosher salt and add to the top of the burger.
Spicy Hawaiian BBQ Mayo
• 1 cup prepared mayonnaise
• 1 cup Hawaiian-style barbecue sauce
• 1/2 cup sriracha sauce (available at most stores in the Asian section, often referred to as "red rooster" sauce)
Mix all ingredients together and add liberally to both sides of the burger bun.