San Diego County has declared Tuesday as Walter Munk Day in in honor of one of the worlds’ greatest oceanographers, a visionary in the field of research and oceanography.
A luncheon will be held in his honor at The Riford Center, beginning at noon Tuesday. Tickets are $30 and can be reserved by calling the center at (858) 459 0831.
Among Munk’s accomplishments are:
• The Crafoord Prize in Geosciences 2010 by the Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences “for his pioneering and fundamental contributions to our understanding of ocean circulation, tides and waves, and their role in the Earth’s dynamics”;
• The Alexander Agassiz Gold Medal of the National Academy of Sciences in 1977;
• The National Medal of Science in 1983
• The Kyoto Prize in Basic Sciences in 1999 and
• The inaugural Prince Albert I Medal from the International Association for the Physical Sciences of the Oceans in 2001.