Firefighters douse fire at La Jolla house

Firefighters attack the fire from the roof. Photo: Dave Schwab
Firefighters attack the fire from the roof. Photo: Dave Schwab

Five fire engines from three different stations, two in La Jolla and one in Pacific Beach, responded to and quickly put out a small blaze at 7157 Eads Ave. in the Village of La Jolla, a couple doors down from La Jolla High School’s Edwards Stadium.

“The call came in at 10:57 a.m. this morning,” said Lee Swanson, San Diego Fire-Rescue spokesman. “There were engines from Nautilus, Soledad Mountain Road and Pacific Beach, about 25 firefighters with battalion chiefs and an ambulance.”

Five fire engines from three different stations, two in La Jolla and one in Pacific Beach, responded to and quickly put out a small blaze at 7157 Eads Ave. in the Village of La Jolla, a couple doors down from La Jolla High School’s Edwards Stadium.

“The call came in at 10:57 a.m. this morning,” said Lee Swanson, San Diego Fire-Rescue spokesman. “There were engines from Nautilus, Soledad Mountain Road and Pacific Beach, about 25 firefighters with battalion chiefs and an ambulance.”

The fire ignited when a lighted candle on the mantel apparently tipped and started nearby materials on fire, Swanson said.

After a smoke alarm went off, the resident got up and tried to put it out with hose, but was overcome with smoke and was rescued by firefighters. He was taken to UCSD Medical Center in Hillcrest for treatment of smoke inhalation. One firefighter was also treated for a minor injury he sustained at the scene.

A neighbor, Michael Fasel, said firefighters responded quickly and cut a hole through the roof with a chain saw to allow smoke that had accumulated inside to evacuate the structure.

Damage, contained to one room, was estimated at $30,000 to the structure and about $50,000 to the contents.

   
-

Comments

Be relevant, respectful, honest, discreet and responsible. Commenting Rules