By Susan DeMaggio
Proceeds from Las Patronas’ 2010 Jewel Ball “Heart & Soul” ($781,187 in the form of 10 grants) were presented to preselected beneficiaries at a Jan. 19 luncheon hosted by the La Jolla Beach and Tennis Club.
After Las Patronas President Sallie Warren welcomed attendees, Heart & Soul ball chair Lise Wilson and co-chairs Lisa Albanez and Kristi Pieper distributed checks to the grateful recipients who each said a few words about their programs.
Warren reminded the crowd that since its founding 65 years ago, Las Patronas has raised $15 million that has been “granted” to worthy charities “in all corners of San Diego.”
A highlight of the luncheon was the presentation of the annual Las Patronas Spirit of Giving Award, which went to Randy Cutting of Abbey Party Rents, or as one ball hostess referred to him, “Brother Randy of the Abbey.”
Cutting bought the Abbey Party Rents company in August 1990 and by the following Jewel Ball in 1991, he was an integral part of the team, supplying equipment and partyware at special rates and with extensive donations-in-kind to help Las Patronas achieve its fundraising goals.
The luncheon ended with 2011 Jewel Ball Chair Sue Wagener reminding guests that the 65th “Sapphire” ball will have a marine theme with the band Liquid Blue booked for the benefit on Aug. 6 at the La Jolla Beach and Tennis Club.
Sapphire will raise funds for the following 12 beneficiaries: Arc of San Diego, Family Health Centers of San Diego, Friends of The Riford Center, La Jolla Playhouse, Mountain Health &
Community Services, REINS Therapeutic Horsemanship Program, San Diego Fire Rescue Foundation, San Diego Food Bank Corporation, San Diego Junior Theatre, Scripps Mercy Hospital Chula Vista, UCSD Shiley Eye Center and the YWCA of San Diego County.
Las Patronas 2010 beneficiaries’ projects:
- Friends of Balboa Park for two high-tech visitor information kiosks
- Magdalena Ecke Family YMCA for a 25-passender van to transport seniors to programs
- Museum of Contemporary Art San Diego for a fire suppression and protection system for permanent collection storage
- NTC Foundation for an electronic sign
- Rady Children’s Hospital for an echocardiogram reading station
- Scripps Health Foundation for a server upgrade and power vault for genomic research
- Sports for Exceptional Athletes for a 10-passenger van to transport athletes with developmental disabilities
- The Emilio Nares Foundation for a 15-passenger van to transport pediatric cancer patients to chemotherapy appointments
- The Old Globe Theatre for 700 new stadium seats for The Lowell Davies Festival Theatre
- UCSD Division of Biological Sciences for a Real-Time Polymerase Chain Reaction machine for research in medical diagnostics