Lifeguards, City Council President Tony Young and Councilwoman Sherri Lightner gathered at La Jolla Cove on Aug. 11 to kick off the “Fill the Fin” campaign, a fundraiser to provide swim lessons for inner city youth. Noting drowning is the leading cause of non-natural death among children under age 5, Young stressed the importance of water safety. He pointed out an estimated 33,000 children ages 5 to 12 in his council district have never taken swim lessons. Money can be donated to the “Fill the Fin” campaign at lifeguard stations from Ocean Beach to Torrey Pines through Aug. 19. For more information call Jeffrey Hatfield at (619) 944-4288 or go online at facebook.com/fillthefin.
- Judge says city not responsible for marine life stench
- Room remodels underway at the Estancia La Jolla Hotel
- Business Spotlight: La Jolla YMCA’s Healthy Kids Day set for April 25
- Old Globe Theatre audiences will follow The White Snake’s adventure with glee in San Diego
- Sportscaster Dick Enberg's ‘McGuire’ returns to North Coast Rep, Feb. 9-10