Served with Organic Mache Salad, Candied Almonds, Housemade Orange Marmalade.
Makes 12, 4-ounce soufflés.
4 tablespoons whole butter
½ cup all-purpose flour
2 cups cold milk
¾ cups crumbled Point Reyes Blue Cheese
6 each egg yolks
6 each egg whites
To taste. kosher salt
To taste, ground black epper
- Melt butter in heavy saucepan
- Add the flour and stir briskly with wooden spoon until incorporated
- Add cold milk slowly to make a thick cream sauce (whisking continually). Cook for approximately 10 minutes over a moderate heat.
- Remove from the heat and add to the kitchen aid bowl, stir in crumbled blue cheese.
- Allow to cool slightly. Attach the whisk attachment and at high speed add one egg yolk at a time.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- In a separate bowl, whip egg whites until soft peaks form.
- Fold into mixture.
- Spray souffle cups with non-stick spray, fill cups ½-inch from top.
- Bake in a water bath at 300 degrees for 15-18 minutes and lightly brown on top.
- Remove from oven, let cool and unmold onto buttered parchment.
These can be served immediately out of the oven alongside a salad of fresh greens paired with whatever fruit is in season. We use citrus and strawberries when in season. Garnish soufflés with any candied or toasted nut.
* Can also be cooled and reheated slowly in a 300-degree oven. To reheat, place soufflés in an ovenproof dish in a small amount of cream (to prevent sticking) until warm.