San Diego Junior Theatre will kick-off its 63
season with the musical production of Roald Dahl’s “Willy Wonka,” Oct. 29-Nov. 17 at the Casa del Prado Theatre in Balboa Park. The cast includes 54 students from schools throughout the county.
Performances are at 7 p.m. Fridays, and 2 p.m. Saturdays and Sundays. Tickets are $8-$14 at (619) 239-8355 or
The story follows the search for a Golden Ticket and the tour of a lifetime in a mysterious candy-maker’s fantastical factory for a sweet-natured boy named Charlie and four other ticket winners.
The production includes the memorable songs, “The Candy Man,” “I Want It Now!” and “Pure Imagination.”
SDJT Artistic Director Desha Crownover directs “Willy Wonka” and SDJT alumnus Matthew Novotny is the lighting designer. The show is suitable for all ages.
Other Season 63 productions include:
- Junie B. Jones in Jingle Bells, Batman Smells , Dec. 3-19
- The Miracle Worker , Jan. 7-23
- Roald Dahl’s The Fantastic Mr. Fox , March 4-20
- The 25 th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee , March 25-April 10
- Beauty and the Beast , April 29-May 15
- A Year with Frog and Toad , July 1-17
- Hairspray , July 2–Aug. 14