By City News Service
The chair of the board for the Centre City Development Corp., downtown San Diego's redevelopment arm, announced Monday he is stepping down from the unpaid post, effective Dec. 31.
"It has been an honor to serve you, your administration and the corporation the past several years," Fred Maas wrote in a letter to Mayor Jerry Sanders. "I look forward to our continued friendship."
Maas has been acting head of CCDC since 2008, when Nancy Graham announced her resignation as chief executive officer of the organization following allegations of a conflict-of-interest with a downtown developer.
Officials said Maas' resignation has been planned for some time, and is not related to a late-night deal to lift the limit on tax revenue that CCDC can collect for downtown redevelopment projects, such as a new stadium for the San Diego Chargers.
The agreement to lift the cap on the amount of tax increment funding that can be collected by CCDC was approved during the waning hours of a state legislative session last month. It was later signed by Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger.
The move incensed members of the City Council, who said they were left out of the loop.
During a City Council hearing Monday on a public outreach plan related to the lifting of the cap, Councilman Carl DeMaio grilled Maas on the deal, saying that "public trust was broken."