If charity truly begins at home, then the following list of local needs may useful to readers looking to lend a helping hand to another this holiday season.
Below are the missions of 12 area charities with brief wish lists of their most-needed items along with their contact information.
- Feeding America San Diego Food Bank
With 3 in 10 families not earning enough to make ends meet this year, the food bank expects to provide assistance to more than 73,000 people during the holidays. Help is essential in ensuring folks down on their luck have a meal to enjoy with their families.
• Volunteers (individuals, groups and corporations) to bag, box, sort and distribute more than 1.2 million pounds of food a month
• Groups to hold food drives (most-needed: peanut butter and jelly,
canned vegetables, bagged rice, canned fruit,
bagged or canned beans, cereal,
canned or boxed soup, pasta, canned meats, healthful snacks)
• Monetary donations
Feeding America San Diego, 9151 Rehco Road, Suite B , San Diego, (858) 452-FOOD, vfeedingamericasd.org
- Social Service League of La Jolla
The Social Service League of La Jolla subsidizes affordable housing for 50 senior citizens who have lived and worked in the San Diego area.
• A heater-air conditioning unit for the League House dining room. An old unit just wore out and cannot be repaired.
• A patio landscaping design with large terracotta pots and plants to beautify common areas
• New patio furniture and umbrellas for the two patios enjoyed by house residents
(858) 454-8231, 7441 Olivetas Ave., La Jolla
3. Meals on Wheels Greater La Jolla
A service that delivers meals to persons who cannot cook or shop for themselves.
• Referrals. If you know of someone who would benefit from the service please call. As more and more participants move into assisted living homes, opportunities are available to serve those who still live independently
• Monetary donations
9888 Genessee, La Jolla; Jane or Dawn (858) 452-0391
La Jolla Community Foundation
The Foundation’s mission is to enhance the aesthetic character of the community by creating and improving inviting public spaces.
In need of: A bureaucracy-buster, to cut through the red tape at city hall so that the LJCF can take on infrastructure projects such as improving the Torrey Pines Road corridor.
2508 Historic Decatur Road #200
San Diego, CA 92106
Phone: (619) 235-2300
- The Seany Foundation
This charity is dedicated to funding research to help find cures for pediatric cancers and to improving the quality of life for children and teens battling cancer.
• Teen-appropriate DVDs and games for the new "Seany Teen Room" at Rady Children's Hospital.
• Interested attendees and donors for the upcoming "Swinging for Seany" first annual golf tournament at Fairbanks Ranch Country Club on May 23.
• Supporters to "like" their facebook page in order to receive updates and news about the foundation.
7567 La Jolla Blvd., La Jolla
- Just In Time for Foster Youth