Those vying for seats on the board of Promote La Jolla, the community's Business Improvement District, were asked to write briefly about why they should be chosen.
The 15-member board is elected by member business owners in the Village.
The election period extends through Oct. 6. For more information, call Promote La Jolla's executive director, Tiffany Sherer, (858) 454-5718, or go to the Web site, www.lajollaby thesea.com.
- Jerry Burwell of Crab Catcher: I am completing my second term on the board of directors. I am a local resident who has been here since 1954, attended La Jolla High and San Diego State University. Our business has been located on Prospect Street since 1980.
I have served on many boards over the years and am also a member of the La Jolla Rotary Club. I look forward to continuing to contribute to the improvement of our local business community.
- Erik Faucett of Tommy Bahama: As a member of the board of directors of Promote La Jolla, I would work to tackle the parking issue, continue the street beautification efforts and increase the number of visitors to La Jolla.
I believe La Jolla has a tremendous opportunity to appeal to tourists and San Diegans. We need to encourage people to come experience La Jolla. I also support live/work structures like in Little Italy and the Gaslamp. This is an amazing village. Businesses can and will thrive in La Jolla.
- Steve Gray of Citibank: Promote La Jolla is charged with the mission of making La Jolla a better place for the benefit of both business and the local community.
I would appreciate the opportunity to serve another term as a member of the board of directors.
- Susie Greenwald of Print O Mat: I am the owner of an independent, family owned and run business of more than 28 years here in the Village.
I have daily contact with a wide spectrum of corporate and individual clients, which allows me to bring input to the PLJ board from all areas of the community, as well as to disseminate information. I want to serve another term on the board of directors to continue to be a voice for our locals - both business and resident - and to help them to be aware of important issues which affect us all.
I want to encourage their participation in our business community, leading by example. As a current committee chair, I have spearheaded projects on decorative banners, gateway and directional signage and beautification.
I want to participate as Promote La Jolla continues to improve everyone's access to La Jolla, our quality of life and the success of our businesses here.
- George Hauer of George's at the Cove: Promote La Jolla is embarking on the most exciting time in its history. With the hiring of the most strategic ad agency in San Diego, we have elevated the possibilities for our commercial district.
We are all committed to regaining our market share by re-establishing La Jolla as a successful brand.
- Yvette Marcum of La Jolla Adventures: As a small business owner and resident of La Jolla, I have been involved in Promote La Jolla for the past two years as the promotions committee chair.
As promotions chair, I have actively pursued special events promoting Village merchants. As we embark on our new marketing campaign, I would be honored to continue as a board member.
Some of my accomplishments have been to increase awareness within our merchant community, special events, creating new holiday events, our first Gallery & Wine Walk.
- Bill Price of Bob Davis Camera Shop: I have worked in La Jolla for 30 years and owned this business for 20 years. I am a resident of La Jolla and have served on the board of Promote La Jolla for six years previously, including two years as president.
I am looking forward to working on resolving the important issues of traffic and parking in the Village and working on the many other worthwhile projects that Promote La Jolla is working on that benefit both the residential and business communities.
- Michael Ullman of La Valencia Hotel: I look forward to continuing to work for the Village of La Jolla and the business community, and continue to help improve our prosperity and serve to make La Jolla the best destination possible.
- Dianne York-Goldman of La Jolla Spa MD: La Jolla is stunningly beautiful. It is a friendly and open-minded community of which I am very proud to be a part.
The friendships that I have developed here feel like family to me. They warm my heart. I only want what is best for La Jolla.
Safety is an issue that I have heard over and over. It is imperative that everyone feel safe to walk our streets, sidewalks and beaches at all hours of the day or night.