‘Luau and Legends of Surfing Invitational’ tickets on sale to benefit La Jolla’s UCSD Cancer Center
Now in its 21st year, the Luau and Legends of Surfing Invitational (formerly known as the Luau and Longboard Invitational) will kick off 8 a.m. Sunday, Aug. 17 on the beach near Scripps Pier.
A luau follows at noon with live music, traditional Polynesian dancing from the Heali’i's Polynesian Revue and a tropical buffet. Live and silent auctions will feature one-of-a-kind surfboards, memorabilia and vacation packages.
The program closes with the presentation of the Rell Sunn Award. The 2014 honoree is Napoleone Ferrara, M.D., a world-renowned molecular biologist, who is credited with helping decipher how tumors grow. Ferrara currently serves as senior deputy director for basic science at UC San Diego Moores Cancer Center.
Since its inception, the event has raised more than $6 million to help transform cancer prevention, detection and care at UC San Diego Moores Cancer Center.
The surfing tournament is free for viewing; tickets to the luau are $175 per person and sponsorships are available. For more details, call (858) 534-4289 or visit luauandlegendsofsurfing.org
For more information about UCSD Moores Cancer Center, visit cancer.ucsd.edu
- Dog walking service to benefit cancer patients begins in La Jolla
- Volunteers sought to survey La Jolla Marine Protected Areas
- La Jolla Longboard invitational to mark 20th year ‘Surfing for a Cure’
- Paddleboarding added to La Jolla’s Survivor Beach event in June
- VIDEO: Football Hall of Famer Mike Haynes stars at Breakfast with Champions fundraiser for UCSD prostate-cancer research in La Jolla
Short URL: http://www.lajollalight.com/?p=126826