La Jolla Playhouse gala marks 30 years of theater excellence
La Jolla Playhouse supporter Jeff Jacobs; trustee Joan Jacobs with husband and Qualcomm co-founder Irwin Jacob; gala chair and trustee Debby Jacobs with her husband, Hal
• PHOTO GALLERY: Click on the NEXT> button above to see 8 photos from the 2014 La Jolla Playhouse Gala.
The La Jolla Playhouse gala on March 29, 2014 celebrated 30 years of groundbreaking theater at the Tony Award-winning institution, since the rebirth of the Playhouse on the UC San Diego campus.
Chaired by Debby Jacobs, the sold-out event began with cocktails, and then dinner-by-the-bite menu from Pamplemousse Grille, held inside La Jolla Playhouse’s Sheila and Hughes Potiker Theatre on the UC San Diego campus.
Wine hosts, who treated their table guests to wine from their private collections, included Paula Marie Black, Gail and Ralph Bryan, Lisa and David Casey, Miles Grant, Debby and Hal Jacobs, Jeff Jacobs, Joan and Irwin Jacobs, Sheri and Stuart Jamieson, Lynelle and Bill Lynch, Vivien and Jeffrey Ressler, Colette and Ivor Royston, Lise Wilson and Steven Strauss, and Marilyn and Michael Yeatts.
After dinner, La Jolla Playhouse Artistic Director Christopher Ashley and Managing Director Michael S. Rosenberg presented a video of the Playhouse’s production history — including 24 productions that transferred to Broadway, earning 35 Tony Awards. They also paid tribute to costume designer Paul Tazewell (“Side Show,” “His Girl Friday” and “Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots.”) A spoken-word performance, “I Want to Be Remembered,” by students in Playhouse education programs, preceded a record-breaking paddle raise to support education and outreach initiatives. The evening was capped with an after party and dancing.
- La Jolla Playhouse celebrates award nominations, primps plaza for closeup
- La Jolla Community Center guests spend ‘A Night with the Opera Singing Chef’
- La Jolla Community Foundation gives thanks for its members
- Las Patronas awards grantee checks at annual Beneficiaries Luncheon in La Jolla
- Las Patronas welcomes new class, reveals 2013 Jewel Ball theme at La Jolla luncheon
Short URL: http://www.lajollalight.com/?p=125346