La Jolla YMCA to host free community event: Healthy Kids Day, Saturday, April 26
From La Jolla YMCA Reports
La Jolla YMCA will present a free community event from 10 a.m, to 1 p.m. Saturday, April 26, to inspire more kids to keep their minds and bodies active.
YMCA’s Healthy Kids Day, the Y’s national initiative to improve families’ health and well-being, will feature games, fitness, healthy snack demonstrations, arts and crafts and more to motivate and teach families how to develop a healthy routine at home.
YMCA’s Healthy Kids Day, celebrated at nearly 1,600 Ys across the country, aims to get more kids moving and learning, so they can keep up the habit all summer long — a critical out-of-school time for kids’ health. Research shows that without access to out-of-school physical and learning activities, kids fall behind academically. Kids also gain weight twice as fast during summer than the school year.
In celebration of YMCA’s Healthy Kids Day, the Y offers the following tips to help families develop healthy habits:
• High five the fruits and veggies: Make sure kids get at least five servings a day, the minimum number nutritionists recommend to maintain healthy childhood development.
• Foster an early and ongoing passion for books: Read to and with your kids. Help children read at every age and every stage of their development.
• Team up for athletic events: Set a family goal of great health by teaming up for charity events like races, walks, fun runs and bike rides.
• Volunteer together: Find a cause that matters to the kids. Open their eyes to a world beyond themselves and the rich rewards that come from making a difference.
• Lead by example: Be a good role model — kids can be influenced by seeing how hard their parents work at home or on the job, and how rewarding that experience is.
— The La Jolla YMCA is at 8355 Cliffridge Ave.
For more information, call (858) 453-3483 or visit lajolla.ymca.org
The Business Spotlight features commercial enterprises that support the La Jolla Light.
- En Garde! Bet your buns there’s a burger war going on … in La Jolla
- Healthy Kids Day event kicks off La Jolla YMCA’s spring schedule
- Here’s a list of Halloween-related events in La Jolla for October 2013
- Share a little Village spirit with gifts that say La Jolla!
- During UCSD visit April 18, Dalai Lama says science and religion not incompatible in curbing global warming
Short URL: http://www.lajollalight.com/?p=123578