Hopping with Heart: Bird Rock and La Jolla Elementary schools hold Jump Rope for Heart events
Third grader Billy Stephens goes for height during Bird Rock Elementary School's Jump Rope for Heart event Feb. 19, 2014.
• PHOTO GALLERY: Click on the NEXT> button above to see 12 photos from Bird Rock Elementary School’s Jump Rope for Heart activities and La Jolla Elementary’s Heart Health Awareness run.
By Ashley Mackin
After a few weeks of fundraising for the American Heart Association, Bird Rock Elementary School, celebrated its efforts with a Jump Rope for Heart event on Feb. 19, 2014. Throughout the day, students participated in jump rope, hula-hoop and basketball stations, and joined relay races. The event was also held to celebrate Bird Rock Elementary kindergartener Evan Rodriguez, who had open-heart surgery when he was 4 years old. The event spearheaded by his mother, Aimee Rodriguez, netted $1,786.
Also in honor of Heart Health Awareness month in February, the La Jolla Elementary School Run Club participated in an extended run the morning of Feb. 13, starting the day with some exercise.
- The Principal’s Office: Meet Donna Tripi. La Jolla Elementary principal strives for continual improvement
- Students’ project to benefit Rwandan orphans
- Families gather for fun at La Jolla Elementary School
- Sign-up days set for La Jolla, Bird Rock Elementary
- Nearly 4,000 students return to school in La Jolla
Short URL: http://www.lajollalight.com/?p=121320