Las Patronas distributes $400,000 at beneficiaries’ lunch in La Jolla
Jewel Ball 2014 co-chair Melinda Mahony, chair Susie Piegza and co-chair Cari Massad
• PHOTO GALLERY: Click on the NEXT> button above to see all 12 photos from the Las Patronas beneficiaries’ lunch.
By Ashley Mackin
The La Jolla-based philanthropy organization Las Patronas held a luncheon at the La Jolla Beach & Tennic Club on Jan. 22, 2014 to present the $400,000 it raised (mostly through the annual Jewel Ball) to pre-selected beneficiaries.
“This luncheon really is one of the highlights of the Las Patronas year,” said Susie Piegza, 2014 Jewel Ball chair. “We have the opportunity to actually see how the money we’ve raised goes directly to such deserving San Diego nonprofits.”
The 10 major beneficiaries were chosen via an application process, and several minor beneficiaries will also receive money. The 2013 Jewel Ball netted more than $840,000 and whatever does not go to major beneficiaries will be distributed to the minors.
“Today we feel an enormous sense of pride as we hand out those long-awaited checks, knowing that through you, we will touch so many lives,” said Jena Joyce, the current Las Patronas president.
The following organizations received Las Patronas funds to further their missions:
• Center for Community Solutions for a new roof for CCS’ Next Step transitional housing program for victims of domestic violence and their children;
• Maritime Museum Association of San Diego for the purchase of two replica Bombardeta cannons for the San Salvador, a replica of the ship sailed by Cabrillo to explore California and establish San Diego;
• Outside the Lens for new computers, cameras and software that will help youth to think creatively, engage in issues and advocate for social change;
• Nativity Prep Academy to fund a 15-passenger van to transport students from low-income families to school events and volunteer work;
• San Diego Junior Lifeguard Foundation for a cargo minivan mobile classroom for the waterproofing San Diego program;
• San Diego Public Library Foundation for funding touch-screen technology equipment for the Children’s Library at San Diego’s new Central Library;
• Sharp Mary Birch Hospital for Women & Newborns for two new CARESCAPE patient monitors for the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit;
• So Others May Eat, Inc. for support with a refrigerated cargo vehicle for transporting meals and groceries to impoverished and disabled clients;
• Special Olympics San Diego County for the purchase of uniforms for 1,100 intellectually challenged athletes;
• Urban Corps of San Diego County for a diesel brush chipper for environmental, forestry and habitat management projects.
- Lucky 13 charms Jewel Ball patrons at Las Patronas gala in La Jolla
- Las Patronas awards grantee checks at annual Beneficiaries Luncheon in La Jolla
- Las Patronas welcomes new class, reveals 2013 Jewel Ball theme at La Jolla luncheon
- La Jolla Community Foundation gives thanks for its members
- San Diego Opera buffs gather at 2013 season opening gala
Short URL: http://www.lajollalight.com/?p=120050