UPDATED: Police not classifying stabbing death near Birch Aquarium as a homicide
The death of a woman who was found with multiple stab wounds in a ravine near Birch Aquarium Monday morning, Jan. 13, is not being investigated as a homicide, San Diego Police said.
Authorities were called to Downwind Way near Expedition Drive in La Jolla about 7:15 a.m. after landscapers found the woman lying in a ditch a the foot of a canyon on the University of California San Diego property, police Lt. Jorge Duran said.
Detectives initially thought the death might be a homicide, but by Monday afternoon they had classified it as a suspicious death, Duran said.
The unconscious woman, believed to be in her 30s, was found about 10 feet down a slope behind a building belonging to the Scripps Institute of Oceanography.
She died at Scripps Memorial Hospital in La Jolla just after 8 a.m. Duran said.
–U-T San Diego
- Updated: masked man who robbed La Jolla pharmacy dies in apparent suicide
- FBI raids La Jolla residence in alleged sports gambling ring
- Border Patrol agents detain two in connection with abandoned boat found at Black’s Beach in La Jolla
- La Jolla resident shot during home invasion
- Four arrested in home invasion robbery at La Jolla home of Jeanne Jones
Short URL: http://www.lajollalight.com/?p=119257