La Jolla brewer wins three medals; Great American Beer Festival names Rock Bottom ‘Brewpub Group of the Year’
• La Jolla brewer Marty Mendiola wins three medals
From Rock Bottom Reports
Rock Bottom Restaurant & Brewery received top recognition at the 2013 Great American Beer Festival (GABF) in Denver, placing in four categories and receiving the prestigious title of “Brewpub Group and Brewpub Group Brewer of the Year.”
Brewer Marty Mendiola of Rock Bottom’s La Jolla location picked up one gold and two bronze medals at the competition.
“We’re thrilled to receive the title of ‘Brewpub Group of the Year’ for the second time in five years,” said Kevin Reed, director of brewing operations at Rock Bottom. “It was a team effort but Marty, who medaled in an impressive three for three beers, certainly helped lead the way.”
Mendiola, a resident of San Diego, completed the beer program at UC Davis and worked as an assistant at the Walnut Brewery in Denver before returning to California to join Rock Bottom. He attributes his success to “brewing clean tasting beers that are true to the original style, while adding a little personal creativity.”
Since its inception, Rock Bottom has won more than 80 medals at GABF, eight of which were beers brewed by Mendiola. This year’s GABF winners for Rock Bottom were specialty beers brewed by local brewers with a local recipe:
• Gold, Moonlight Porter (Robust Porter), brewed at Rock Bottom La Jolla
• Silver, The Hammer (Baltic-Style Porter), brewed at Rock Bottom King of Prussia, Penn.
• Bronze, Longboard Brown (English-style Brown Ale), brewed at Rock Bottom La Jolla
• Bronze, Ragtop Red (Irish-Style Red Ale), brewed at Rock Bottom La Jolla
In addition to tasting Mendiola’s award-winning beers, guests can try the brewery’s seasonal release Winter Tartan, a traditional Scottish ale with a smooth, malty flavor and a hint of vanilla, and enjoy a limited-time menu which includes: a Swiss Portobello Burger, Roasted Garlic Bone-In Ribeye and a Bleu Cheese Portobello Strip.
— Rock Bottom Restaurant & Brewery
8980 Villa La Jolla Drive, La Jolla
The Business Spotlight features commercial enterprises that support the La Jolla Light.
- Amaya La Jolla restaurant to host winter holidays specials
- Iberico Spanish Bistro and Gin Club brings spirited atmosphere to La Jolla
- Broken Yolk restaurants are expanding the menu
- New restaurant Ohana Café bids ‘Aloha!’ to La Jolla
- NINE-TEN Restaurant to offer special Thanksgiving Day menu in La Jolla
Short URL: http://www.lajollalight.com/?p=119133