Who would you nominate for La Jollan of the Year?
OUR VIEW / La Jolla Light Editorial
Who would you nominate for La Jollan of the Year? We mulled over the question and came up with so many names, we abandoned the challenge! However, there are some people who must be acknowledged as 2013 draws to a close for their time and efforts to make our Jewel-by-the-Sea a better place for all this year:
• Sarah Lowrey named the “Tarnishing Our Jewel” feature in the La Jolla Light, because as she put it, “What’s better than public humiliation to get people to clean up their acts?” And Sarah was right, as readers, desperate to see improvements, send a steady flow of photos and captions to the Light that call out irritations around town.
• Tom Morgan donated $200,000 to kick the Children’s Pool Walk beautification project into first gear. His generous gift will add to visitors and residents enjoyment of this beach for decades to come. Thank you, Tom!
• Phyllis Minick and Melinda Merryweather must take a bow for their relentless work on behalf of beach access, the protection of California’s treasured coastline, and the Children’s Pool Walk project.
• Mary-Coakley Munk, shepherdess of La Jolla Shores, has been a presence working to restore The Map in Kellogg Park, secure improvements to park bathrooms, and assure the design and construction of the donor wall.
• La Jolla Community Foundation has given us all something to talk about (and be proud of) with more than a dozen public art murals now gracing the Jewel. Kudos to the Foundation and its art committee; we eagerly await the next masterpiece.
• Save Our La Jolla Post Office Task Force (especially Joe La Cava and Leslie Davis) for acquiring an historic designation for our beloved Village post office and its charming WPA-era Belle Baranceanu mural. While many feared the post office would be sold to the highest bidder this summer, the task force has seen a stay-of-execution and the fight lives another day. Stay tuned!
— Fellow La Jollans: What is Tarnishing Our Jewel?
Please send La Jolla Light your leads of Village eyesores and we will go after the perpetrators. E-mail the scenarios and attach a photo, or call us and we’ll investigate who or what is Tarnishing Our Jewel! Reach Editor Susan DeMaggio at (858) 875-5950 or e-mail email@example.com
— What’s on YOUR mind?
Letters to the Editor for publication should be 250 words or less, and sent by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please include the writer’s full name, city of residence and phone number for verification.
- With a heavy heart, we end The Bronowski Art and Science Forum series in La Jolla
- Your View: Chelsea King has a way of protecting California children
- Opinion: Las Patronas gift recipient pays it forward
- Opinion: ‘Christmas’ in parade title is just plain wrong
- Opinion: One Minute with Leon Campbell
Short URL: http://www.lajollalight.com/?p=118491