Dozens of women named ‘Barbara’ gather at Barbarella’s Restaurant for toy drive in La Jolla
Barbaras from across La Jolla meet at Barbarella’s for the annual St. Barbara’s Day party and toy drive.
• PHOTO GALLERY: Click on the NEXT> button above to see all 10 photos from the “Barbara” party.
By Ashley (not Barbara) Mackin
Women named Barbara from across La Jolla gathered Dec. 4, 2013 at Barbarella’s Restaurant in the Shores for the annual St. Barbara’s Day party and holiday toy drive. The Barbaras were treated to cocktails and appetizers on the restaurant’s patio. In getting to know one another, several of the Barbaras asked after whom they were named. The list included actresses, grandmothers and even one Barbara’s father’s former girlfriend (the one he didn’t marry, but wished he had).
All the donated toys will go to Promises2Kids, an organization aimed at improving the lives of foster children in their situation due to neglect or abuse.
Event organizer Barbara Doren expressed her hope that the name Barbara would increase in popularity and there would be another generation of Barbaras to come. For the Barbaras who missed this year’s party, Barbarella’s owner Barbara Beltaire assured it would happen again next year on St. Barbara’s Day (Dec. 4, 2014).
- Promises2Kids gala-goers treated to sunset concert by REO Speedwagon in La Jolla
- Big Brothers Big Sisters gather to toast Person-of-the-Year James Brennan at annual dinner in La Jolla
- Art patrons place their bets on culture at Museum of Contemporary Art San Diego gala in La Jolla
- Symphony at Salk musical gala raises funds for Salk Institute for Biological Studies in La Jolla
- San Diego Center for Children marks its 126th year at dinner gala
Short URL: http://www.lajollalight.com/?p=118043